Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

GREATER POWER / STRONGER FOLLOW THROUGH

Posted by: user571595 | Fri 21st Feb 2014 11:03 | Last Reply

I am not seeking to inundate this forum with new threads, but rather expand on a few issues raised in my first post.

When I returned to golf a few years back one of the things which perplexed me was how golf pros. could (if they wished) lash their driver across their back on completion of their follow through whilst mine went almost nowhere, and at worst travelled almost horizontally right to left, as in anguish I usually watched a blocked or faded ball.

Increasing my daily stretching / flexibility exercises was only marginally beneficial, but nevertheless essential for long term lower back health.

My follow through finally came good when I realised that such had very little to do with yoga-like flexibility but depended on two simple principles:

1. When attacking the ball with a driver concentrate on keeping the right shoulder back as long as possible. Imagine that your target is twenty yards right of where it actually is and swing out to that location. In other words uncoil as late as possible. Most golf pros. are still attacking way right of target when their club head is parallel to the ground in the down swing. Whilst amateur players tend to uncoil almost at the very top of their down swing and thereby lose most of their power.

2. When practicing the above expect to block ball after ball to the right until you have mastered the second half of the equasion: Switch all weight off the right foot onto the left foot in time! This is what true balance means in driving - switching feet - not being stable via weight being simultaneously equally distributed between two feet.

Finally all that one needs to do is make the effort to lash the club across one's back.

I have added a YouTube video but it only works normally here if the blue hyperlink is clicked before the picture has a chance to open. Otherwise please go to Youtube).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=LTTVdLVn24k

(I don't discuss / debate. Please feel free to shred amongst yourselves).

Last edit : Sat 22nd Feb 2014 15:08

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top