Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

My next golf lesson - what to do?

Posted by: user550400 | Wed 19th Feb 2014 20:58 | Last Reply

Interested in Forum members views on this. Have recently started playing golf (once a week, local municipal, plus Golf Soc approx once a month...weather permitting!!; plus regular trips to the driving range). Have also got a package of Golf Lessons - 5 in total. I have spent the first three focusing on grip and swing. I now know what I should be doing...even if I can't always do it! Question is, what do I use my next lesson for. My instinct is to do some specific work on short game - putting/chipping etc; as I think this might get my scores down nearer the magical 100 which is my first goal! The alternative is to keep on with swing work, in particular developing a fuller back swing as at the moment on woods and driver if I go much beyond half way all sorts of horrendous results ensue. But I am tempted to leave this and concentrate on the short stuff as I am at least hitting the pill fairly straight with a half swing and getting 150 yds or so; so I think that can wait until I get more confident and used to the swing. So what do people think. Short game or more swing work?

re: My next golf lesson - what to do?
user543623
Reply : Wed 19th Feb 2014 21:49

John, I recently finished a package of 6 45min lessons, like yourself I had 3 that were fully on my swing then from there I had one that focused on putting, one on the short game and wedges and one on the longer clubs, for 45 mind this allowed a basic look over at the start to see if my swing was still doing what we had covered before moving on. I found this helped my overall game and also value for money. I suppose it depends on how you feel with your swing now, if confident move on if not keep at the basics.

user418412
Reply : Thu 20th Feb 2014 21:31

Short game definitely. I'm doing a course of 10 lessons to work on my game over the winter and I can only cope with a full swing lesson about once a month as it gives me time to get it settled out on course before looking at something new. Pitching, chipping and putting will make a massive difference to your enjoyment of the game early on and hold you in good stead as your scores start to fall. if you've found a golf pro you get on with and they understand you they will be able to see what's best for your game. Stick at it, it can be the most frustrating sport going but it's worth the effort

user566390
Reply : Fri 21st Feb 2014 08:46

This is always a sticky subject because you need to get to a certain stage before you move on. So if you are happy with your full swing and can repeat it most of the time then go to the next level. If you can practice the chipping and pitch shots off the grass not a mat. When practicing your putting don't start from 25 feet build your confidence from 18 inches then 2 feet then 3 feet and so on, my theory on this is that you will miss the 25 and 30 footers most of the time but 6 feet and in is the real scoring zone on the greens. REMEMBER when you practice ALWAYS pick a target, NEVER just hit balls. If you don't have any buy some alignment sticks cheap as chips and much better to use than clubs on the ground, focuses the mind better.

Two of my good friends and playing partners and the go to the range and hit balls I go to practice.

My routine starts with a few stretches I'm 63 so not as supple as I used to be and then, I hit a few half wedges 10 or so then about the same full wedges, a few 8 irons then 6 irons then 4 irons rescue and then driver. The next step I hit driver and iron I fancy and then try and chip into the 25yard basket, This is how we play golf so I practice the same way. Then I go to the putting green for at least half an hour.

Hope there is something in there that helps. Bob

Last edit : Fri 21st Feb 2014 08:56

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top