Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf Grips

Posted by: user505148 | Tue 18th Feb 2014 11:40 | Last Reply

Hi there, just after a bit of advise,

have had my clubs now for around 8 months (cobra amps) and just wondered how long i should leave it until i need to start looking at getting the grips replaced,

is there any clubs in the set that the grips dont last as long? should i get them all done so my grip is the same across the set?

i ask that as i have only just got my 4 iron and the grip is brand new but wouldn't want it to feel different to the others?

any help appreciated

re: Golf Grips
user24437
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 11:55

It all depends really. I tend to wreck my driver grip pretty quickly and replace them all at the same time. Being slightly OCD I like them all to be the same so just do them as a set (apart from the putter) and that includes the clubs I swap around, I sometimes carry a 3 iron and sometimes a hybrid. It's something that is really quick and easy to do yourself anyway once you've got the basic equipment. I bought a huge roll of tape, vice grip and solvent and that's seen me through loads of grips to date. Am currently using some excellent Sharpro 3 Cat grips that are only £3.49 so it only works out at £48 a set, but Gamola Golf have budget grips from less than £2 each so it needn't be expensive. Gamola Golf also have an excellent guide to sizeing which is worth having a read through to get the right size and wraps combination.

user505148
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 13:40

Thankyou,

was also going to ask how much do people think is needed to be spent on a decent set, as i dont want to have expensive clubs that are ruined by grips that arent good enough

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 14:02
user24437
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 15:22

Pot/kettle Darren?

user430247
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 20:26

get tour wraps ,, had them put on my cobra,s they r great ,,worth it

user24437
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 22:12

All new grips feel good, in my opinion the only choice is whether to go for cord or not. Personally I hate the feel of cord grips but some people swear by them. Get the size right and you'll be amazed how even cheap grips feel - I don't think you'd go far wrong with the classic Lamkin cross line for feel, life and grip. On another point Jason, have you tried having them cleaning them? Makes a huge difference. Best way is obviously ultrasonic, available at a lot of clubs as well as visiting services. Failing that try washing them in a strong sugar soap solution and rinsing off several times in clean water, really shifts the grease off them and makes them nice and sticky again.

user566390
Reply : Wed 19th Feb 2014 09:27

Driver Wedge and putter have the most use. When playing regular golf I will re-grip the driver and wedge mid season and re-grip the set at the end of the season.

user505148
Reply : Wed 19th Feb 2014 10:34

ok thanks for your replies,

will go to the range and ask the pros what they think of the condition of my grips, i may be worrying about nothing and they still might be fine. wouldn't want to change them yet ideally as some of them have hardly been used since purchased, but my OCD would mean i want them all the same lol.

user246701
Reply : Wed 19th Feb 2014 11:04

Clean them with a little scrubbing brush and some warm water ... if they don't improve then replace them !

user24437
Reply : Thu 20th Feb 2014 20:30

You bloody do argue Ivan.

(nice to see you back mate - how's life in the third world?)

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top