Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Head Problems?

Posted by: user469358 | Tue 18th Feb 2014 00:03 | Last Reply

I have been having a few concentration problems lately, ie lifting my head up possibly to see where the ball has gone before I have hit it causing badly mishit shots. I expect I am doing this because I am focusing on trying to improve my swing to make it less rounded and baseball like and more straight back to front.

This head up problem is I think one of the most common and annoying faults with ameteur hackers like me. Does anyone know of a drill I can use to help me look at the ball when I am hitting it?

Thanks in advance

re: Head Problems?
user418412
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 11:37

I've read a number of articles recently going against the head still theory especially with full swing, putting is another thing entirely. As a player of multiple sports (and cricket coach) I think it's important to differentiate between head still and head level. Your head has to move as part of your swing but it should be level throughout. If you raise or lower your head and therefore centre of gravity it will affect the bottom of the swing arc causing miss hits. In a recent lesson my regular thinning of shots was pointed out to be caused be lifting my upper body out of position at the top of the backswing. But out on course I felt as though my head was moving. I hope some of that may make sense.

user540173
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 14:26

My father always told me to concentrate on the back of the ball, it often works especially playing downhill shots. Many reasons why head comes up... Too close in stance... Too eager to see if shot is hood or bad.. dipping during swing to 'get at' the ball.. best advice is book a lesson with a pro, even better if they use an app to video swing can see exactly what they're saying and helps.

user127691
Reply : Wed 19th Feb 2014 14:13

Mis-hits are more likely to do with straight back to front swing than concentration. Worst bit of advice anyone will ever give you. Head up is likely to do with your body being in front of the club fine with a rounded swing a killer move with a straight back straight through 2 plane swing.

If you have a rounded swing stick with it, read the plane truth for golfers by Jim Hardy or find a plane truth instructor and they will give you the advantages of a rounded or one pane swing. Probably all modern golf swings are a lot more rounded than straight back straight through. Not saying one way is better than the other but peoples tendencies usually push them one way or the other.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top