Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Golf magazines.

Posted by: user565589 | Wed 5th Feb 2014 11:10 | Last Reply

Having seriously got the bug I've been buying holf magazines for a few months and have noticed a bit of a pattern. They're basically the same magazine every month. Leading header says something along the lines of "hit it straighter and further than ever!!"or "10 simple secrets that'll have you bombong it like the pros!" I must admit, I'm starting to feel a little exploited haven't come across a byline saying "you'll never be as good as Rory et al but we're still going to try to sell you the overpriced over engineered psuedo scientific hunk of titanium which you believe will be a magic wand"

Admittedly, there are some interesting articles and I have benefitted from a couple of tips but as far as I can tell they just recycle the same tips and the rest of the magazine is just a vehicle for companies to foist this years magic wand upon us!

Am I being unfair?

re: Golf magazines.
user565589
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 11:11

Ps. Typos! Fat fingers. Sorry.

user80078
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 11:47

I think you are spot on Brian. I haven't bought one for ages now and will not in future.

user430247
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 19:59

spot on mate ,,, they r full of same old same old ,evey time ,, i only buy them when i,am going on holiday now ,,

user43763
Reply : Thu 6th Feb 2014 16:11

I always ask the mrs for a subscription for xmas and that way I never feel like im wasting money,it is incredible how many different ways there are to say 'hips first, ground up, lag lag lag!!!.

I enjoy the equipment reviews if im honest but I was under the impression youtube was created to rectify the golf magazine problem.

On another note, a mate of mine used to work for an online golf shop and he said that manufacturers used to, shall we say, "sweeten the pot" when they sent in equipment to magazines so that they gave out good reviews. Im not saying this is true but youll be hard pushed to find a major manufacturer that hasn't had a gold award at some point of the year for every single different type of club

user553910
Reply : Thu 6th Feb 2014 19:12

There's a website in the US which conducts quite extensive tests of golf equipment and which does not (they claim) accept advertising from golf manufacturers. http://mygolfspy.com.

I agree on the magazines. It's probably not quite true that there's really nothing new to say but it's definitely true that there isn't that much new to say every month. They are a vehicle for selling equipment. Golfers are suckers for equipment (I'm no exception).

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top