Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

GPS watches

Posted by: user546815 | Tue 4th Feb 2014 22:25 | Last Reply

Hey all, Im looking at getting me a GPS watch but as yet unsure what one. Ive read a couple of reviews on here (thanks) but im wondering who has one what one have they got and from a personal usage point of view whats the plus and negatives. Ive tried getting reviews using google but lots seem to be from biased companies. im interestd to see what "real" people think. any input will be much appreciated Cheers Dan

re: GPS watches
user26342
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 06:38

Daniel, I've currently got the Skycaddie watch.

My main reason for choosing it was I already had a SKycaddie membership , http://shop.skygolf.com/c-95-sport-series-plans.aspx / http://www.skygolf.com/plans/SimpleDevicePlans.aspx, which didn't expire until 2015 so it made sense.

My only gripe with it is that the battery will only give you 1 full round of golf before it needs recharging. Other than that it does the job perfect.

When my membership does expire I will probably replace it with one of the Garmin watches. Some of my friends have them & there battery life lasts around 2-3 rounds

Last edit : Wed 5th Feb 2014 06:39
user546815
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 07:15

John, Thanks for getting back to me. the skycaddie watch was the one i was looking at but i dont like the idea of spending over 150 on a watch to then pay for the privelidge of usisng it. i was all set top get one but then i saw the garmin s4 and thought ooooooooooo thats shiney.lol cheers again

anyone else got 2p worth? id love to hear it

Dan

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 08:03

Here's a review of the SkyCaddie watch:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/6148/SkyCaddie_Watch_Review_SkyCaddie_Member_Test.html

plus they've recently announce the SkyCaddie Linx waatch:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/6755/SkyCaddies_introduce_new_LINX_Watch_GPS.html

The S4 is very shiny and an excellent bit of kit but with a higher price. Owen is reviewing for Golfshake this week. Have you also seen the new GolfBuddy slimline watch WT4 watch:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/6760/GolfBuddy_GPS_Unveils_two_world_exclusive_products_for_2014.html

user546815
Reply : Wed 5th Feb 2014 20:11

Cheers Darren very helpful

user467588
Reply : Thu 6th Feb 2014 10:48

Hi Daniel,

I've got the Garmin S1 which is pretty good. Bought on offer for less than £100 from a big golf store, it does everything it says on the box.

The only thing I would say is that if you play the same course all the time it doesn't take long before it's superfluous. Initially I found myself re-calibrating the distances I hit a club and my perception of distance. When guessing a distance to a green I was constantly under estimating how far it was to the green and when guessing the distance I had hit a shot I was over-estimating. Once you start estimating correctly, the watch becomes less needed on a home course.

Playing away, though is a lot better, specifically as distances on the scorecard do differ by quite a margin depending on tee position and flag position, which may cause poor club choices. When playing abroad, i.e. Spain, it saves the mental challenge of metres versus yards.

I've found I get 2 rounds from a charge, but I do switch it off when not golfing as I never wear a watch normally.

To sum up, if you only play a single course, borrow on for a couple of weeks as it will improve how you play your course. If you play all over, it's a smashing bit of kit.

user43763
Reply : Thu 6th Feb 2014 16:06

I too have the S1 approach and love it. I cant say ive had any distance issues but I don't think my course has changed for years, One thing to note is on the lower price range models, they become useless on temporary greens! Also, watch (

user417002
Reply : Fri 7th Feb 2014 17:44

Hi I have a Garmin S3 and it is fantastic I think spend a bit more and get a touch screen free updates for life this has all the features you will need shop around for the best price David

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 7th Feb 2014 18:37

Depending what kit you have ie smartphone there are some apps that link up with the Peeblewatch. Obviously with a smartphone app it's unlikely you will get the functionality and accuracy that you would get with Garmin, GolfBuddy, SkyCaddie etc

user455045
Reply : Sat 8th Feb 2014 20:16

I AGREE WITH PETERS COMMENT ABOUT IT BECOMING SUPERFLUOUS IF YOU PLAY THE SAME COURSE REGULARLY. I BOUGHT MY GARMIN S1 BECAUSE I WAS HOPELESS AT ESTIMATING DISTANCES, I USE IT WHEN I AM PLAYING MY HOME COURSE. YOU NATURALLY IMPROVE ESTIMATING DISTANCES AFTER A WHILEAND I NOW GLANCE AT IT AFTER I HAVE MADE A DECISION ABOUT WHICH CLUB TO USE,TO CONFIRM THE CORRECTNESS OF MY CLUB SELECTION. OVERALL I THINK IT'S A GOOD PIECE OF KIT TO HAVE.

user546815
Reply : Tue 11th Feb 2014 10:12

cheers guys some good info there especially the bit from Peter about playing my home course and it becoming redundant. Well as im cheap and i cant make up my mind i opted for buying a £2.50 course planner in the club house. its not gps accurate.lol but it certainly helps. Maybe if i play more widespread over the year or if £200 suddenly becomes readily available to me i'll revisit the issue. Thanks to everyone for there input its much appreciated

user473042
Reply : Tue 18th Feb 2014 19:00

I used the Golfpad GPS app for my I phone and works fine for me

user546815
Reply : Wed 19th Feb 2014 08:44

mobile apps are ot legal during competitions

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top