Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Waterproof suit

Posted by: user540173 | Wed 29th Jan 2014 20:02 | Last Reply

Am looking to purchase some new waterproofs, would like to know your thoughts on which are the best. Thinking Ping, ProQuip or Mizuno or...??

Many Thanks

re: Waterproof suit
user25808
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 20:35

Hi Tracy.

What sort of budget are you looking at?

I've played golf about 11 years and had 2 sets of waterproofs, Mizuno were my 1st set. They weren't too bad really but eventually I got to hate the snap off sleeves( never getting snap off sleeves again). They were very waterproof to start but after about 4-5 years they were hardly waterproof at all.

I now have a Sunice Typhoon set of waterproofs which in my opinion are superior to the Mizuno set. Had them 3 years now and no sign of the waterproofing going.

Another thing to consider is the length of jacket, I had a tunic type jacket with the Mizuno and it tended to ride up when playing so allowing water down the bottom of my back, not nice. The Sunice jacket is a much better fit for me.

If your not limited on budget get waterproofs with Gortex, Galvin Green etc.

user24437
Reply : Thu 30th Jan 2014 07:39

About 8 years ago I was bought a Footjoy Dryjoy combo and it's absolutely amazing. It's light, warm, wind proof and waterproof and rolls up to about the size of a couple of Pringles tubes and easily fits into my bag. Struggled a bit when it stared leaking after a couple of years but that was because I washed it using conventional methods, I've since discovered that if I use a couple of products called Nikwash and Nikwax it's now as good as new - would recommend that stuff to anyone who's kit starts to leak. You can get it from most outdoor shops or on the net and will work wonders (if you follow the instructions...)

user43763
Reply : Thu 30th Jan 2014 08:39

i agree with the others, budget is the key component but as your mentioned ping and proquip it looks like your prepared to buy some decent kit. I bought a set of ping tornado trousers and a proquip top (forget the model) but both are incredible, if I knew decent waterproofs made so much of a difference id of had them years ago. I bought online and both the online fitting guides were accurate and helpful. I spent £40 for the lot and would of paid £80. I don't think youll go wrong with any of the decent brands. I played in heavy rain 18 holes and my scorecard on my inside pocket never gets damp.

user540173
Reply : Thu 30th Jan 2014 10:28

Thank you Gents, advice much appreciated. I wish I had heard of the Nikwash/wax before Tim and will keep an eye out for it. Have had good experience with ProQuip Ultralite but some reviews on recent gear not been great, won't be put off them though. Hmmmm decisions decisions...

user24437
Reply : Thu 30th Jan 2014 11:30

Tracy. Try this, the 300ml bottle will do two pieces 3 or 4 times depending on your water quality. Remember to clean out the machine soap dispenser first and run an empty hot wash before doing it. Have just done mine again and the water now just beads up and rolls off it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikwax-Direct-Clean-Proof-Value/dp/B001RE3FSW/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1391081188
&sr=1-1&keywords=nikwax

user540173
Reply : Thu 30th Jan 2014 12:02

Amazon here I come! Sounds like this stuff needs to be common knowledge for All weather golfers!

Cheers Tim

user553910
Reply : Thu 30th Jan 2014 16:39

I've got one each of these two and they are fantastic. I've used them for years motorcycling in wet conditions and they are still completely waterproof and very breathable. They scrunch down into a side pocket in the golf bag. The trousers have zips nearly all the way up the sides so jumping in and out of them in golf boots (or bike boots) is easy.

http://store.berghaus.com/p/mens/mens-cornice-iii-gore-tex-walking-jacket/421016 http://store.berghaus.com/p/mens/mens-helvellyn-gore-tex-trousers/420113

Last edit : Thu 30th Jan 2014 16:40
user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 30th Jan 2014 20:24

I've used Nikwax/Nikwash as well. The stuff is great. I got it from Millets and used it to turn a standard £15 micro fleece into a waterproof fleece. It's great for those cool mornings that have a bit of drizzle in the air and the water just rolls off it

user26342
Reply : Fri 31st Jan 2014 17:02

Tracey, Invest in a galvin green suit. Bit pricey but you'll never need to buy another one. I've had mine over 8 years, cost £400 brand new, & after a wash & tumble dry it looks like brand new. I also wear it for day to day activities as well. . Try & work out the cost of nikwax & the amount of times you need to do it over an 8 year period & see how much that would cost you?

user24437
Reply : Fri 31st Jan 2014 20:38

Er, let me see. My Footjoy kit (or today's equivalent) cost £158. Nikwash/wax costs about £15, so at two washes a year that makes it about 32 years worth.

Do I win a prize?

user540173
Reply : Fri 31st Jan 2014 21:15

Gentlemen thank you for advice/thoughts, if I had limitless pockets then I probably would go for GG, however I could buy a new set of irons for that amount of money! 😁

user26342
Reply : Fri 31st Jan 2014 21:21

Tim,

Depends on how good you want your waterproof suit to perform on an array of areas. Me personally I want a jacket which will not only keep me dry & warm but not hinder my swing in any way. In a recent 'power wash' test in the today's golfer Galvin green got the gold award (again). The top of the range footjoy suit at £355 didn't come in the top 3!

I recently wore my galvin green suit at the belfry & it was hammering it down (we actually walked off after 4 holes), mr perry can testifiy to this & when I took my suit off I was completely bone dry.

When I got home I just stuck it in the tumble dryer for 30 mins & hey presto my suit is ready to go again. I don't know if I could be bothered with having to put the washing machine through a hot wash & then wash the coat with nikwax etc.

I don't understand why you should have to re-waterproof your waterproof suit?!?! Buy a good waterproof suit which will do what it is intended to do for life. Simples

Last edit : Mon 3rd Feb 2014 13:26
user566390
Reply : Sat 1st Feb 2014 08:20

What ever you decide make sure it fits you properly, when your are wrapped up for warmth and when you get caught in a shower.

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 1st Feb 2014 11:27

I can confirm what John has said about his Galvins. Torrential rain and wind that strong it broke my brolly. I was also wearing Galvin jacket and trousers and when I took them off guess what? I had a damp patch at the bottom of my back. The reason? I had put my jacket over the top of the GPS attached to my belt! I was completely dry everywhere else

user48341
Reply : Sat 1st Feb 2014 22:08

Tracy Although we might all like to buy a "Rolls Royce" brand, if budget is an issue, I can recommend the new X-TEX range from Benross (who?!?!). Around £120 from a pro shop or around £80 for top & trousers online. Waterproof to 10000mm - so not as good as Gore-tex but very acceptable for most weather that you'd ever consider playing in in the UK - and actually really quite stylish as golf gear goes.

user320021
Reply : Sun 2nd Feb 2014 08:48

The only other thing to note which hasn't been commented on is the type of waterproof you want. either a) Paclite, or b) Traditional.

The paclite ones are those as described above which would roll up into about the size of a tube of pringles, they offer all the waterproofing, but none of the warmth of the traditional ones which have lining etc.

If you play mainly in warm weather and just want them for the occasional shower then paclite are great, but if you plan to wear them all through winter then you may be better with the traditional type, as they will save you a couple of extra layers, and enable a better swing.

Personally I prefer the traditional type as I play through the winter and like to stay warm, (if I'm playing in the summer and know it is likely to rain the whole way round I just wear shorts underneath!) and I can certainly vouch for Galvin Green being brilliant kit.

user24437
Reply : Sun 2nd Feb 2014 10:38

Colin. Nearly right, but my FootJoys are warm and waterproof as well as packing up really small. I palyed Woodhall Spa a year or so ago and it was throwing it down with rain all day, cold (3 - 4 deg) and windy. I did both rounds wearing a base layer and a polo top underneath my jacket and didn't suffer from the chill at all. In fact, I did play (a bit stupid, but to be honest it was one the funniest rounds of my life) a round with a few people when it actually reached a low of about -5 deg - although I did have a light sweater on then..

user477305
Reply : Mon 3rd Feb 2014 09:54

I can agree with Peter about Benross, I got a waterproof suit of there's about 8 years ago for around £100. It has never let me down, and I have played in some really bad rain. I'm always dry after the round has finished, I have plenty of room for my swing, and it looks great! The only negative I have, and this may just be because it is a fairly light jacket, is that it has 'lost it's shape' a little bit. I will probably upgrade at the end of this year, and I would happily buy another Benross one and wear it all through the winter.

user540173
Reply : Tue 4th Feb 2014 17:20

Thank you for all your comments, think I am heading towards the Sunice Hurricane range, like the styling and features, hopefully will be pleased with them and that they'll be waterproof for a number of years

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 31st May 2014 20:57

Some good tips here - especially given the recent weather!

Last edit : Sat 31st May 2014 20:57
user23669
Reply : Sat 31st May 2014 22:12

I would agree with the guys about what is said about Nikwash/wax. I have a ski jacket that I've had 20 years or more and only had to use it once to completely return it to an as new state.

My waterproof suit only cost about £150 but I have never had a problem with it as it was at the bottom end of the price scale. If it ever I need to improve it I would use Nikwash/wax.

Last edit : Sat 31st May 2014 22:12
user591542
Reply : Tue 17th Jun 2014 12:30

I'd always reccomend Galvin too when it comes to waterproofs. The last ones I picked up I managed to get in the sale from function18 here: http://www.function18.com/on-sale.html Its definitely worth having a look round this summer, you might find some water proofs from the winter in the sales. American Golf and Sports direct online normally have some good sales too

Hope this helps

Last edit : Tue 17th Jun 2014 12:30
user591542
Reply : Tue 17th Jun 2014 12:30

I'd always reccomend Galvin too when it comes to waterproofs. The last ones I picked up I managed to get in the sale from function18 here: http://www.function18.com/on-sale.html Its definitely worth having a look round this summer, you might find some water proofs from the winter in the sales. American Golf and Sports direct online normally have some good sales too

Hope this helps

Last edit : Tue 17th Jun 2014 12:30

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top