Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Range finders

Posted by: user466742 | Mon 27th Jan 2014 18:52 | Last Reply

Did a little search and couldn't find anything on this but I'm sure there is something on the forum somewhere. So apologies if I'm repeating someone's question that's been previously answered. But, do any of you use rangefinders? If so, has it helped your game? Which one do you use and was it worth the money?

Cheers, Andy

re: Range finders
user2879
Reply : Tue 28th Jan 2014 00:19

I have a Bushnell scope, I think its useful as I gauge my yardages on the day and I make decisions based on how well I'm swinging. The confidence of knowing that you can hit a full shot without holding back is good. I'm sure its similar to a GPS system where you get front, middle and back but I like the scope better. Not sure its worth £200 though

user565589
Reply : Tue 28th Jan 2014 19:13

Being new to the game I was really surprised that range finders even exist in golf. The game always seemed to be for purists. Isn't half the skill being able to judge distances and hit the appropriate shot? I'm not the greatest at this to be honest but don't think I'd ever use a range finder, they'd take the fun out of it slightly for me and disrupt my rhythm. Each to their own though, if you find them useful.

user466742
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 10:03

Thanks Mbachi, i'll have a look!

Yep i was of the same opinion Brian, but now i'm starting to score lower, it feels like i need more precise yardages to hit more GIR and i think it would probably help with course management to know exactly the yardage of hazards on reachable par 5s etc. Unfortunately i don't really get a chance to get into any sort of rhythm with the courses i play as they are always packed with 5 minute waits on most tees! Thanks for the input though!

user26342
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 12:24

Andrew, I've been a user of range finders for a few years (currently have the Skycaddie watch) now & can honestly say it has helped speed up play, given me my carry & roll out yardages for all my clubs so I know which club to hit depending on other factors.

Anyway the below links should help you out.

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/5495/2013_Golf_GPS_Units.html

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/6148/SkyCaddie_Watch_Review_SkyCaddie_Member_Test.html

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/5775/Can_a_Golf_GPS_Benefit_Your_Game.html

Last edit : Wed 29th Jan 2014 12:26
user99350
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 12:37

Brian B, you do have a valid point but I tend to think now that they're here to stay, they've even got them in a watch format so people will use them. That's not to say that the arguments for and against (depending on what side of the fence you're on) will die down. Personally I think they're an advantage but if someone gives a yardage in a game I'm in I'll always take it into consideration.

user553910
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 16:43

Golf is difficult enough without having to guess the distances

I use the golfshot iphone app and I really like it.

user534809
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 16:55

I use one of the Garmin wrist watch GPS. It's nice and simple with measurements to the front/middle and back of the green. I don't have a problem using one of these as In the professional game, the players have a caddy that has measured all the distances to the intended targets. I have a watch instead. It does speed up play as I misjudge far fewer shots these days.

user320021
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 17:36

I use a Nikon laser. I had always used yardage charts, as lots of people do, but this is just a bit more accurate.

I think it has helped my game as I now know more accurately how far I hit each club and find myself hitting with more confidence because of the information, hitting more greens (or avoiding other targets).

I would say that depending on how accurate you are, you may prefer either a GPS or laser, GPS will always be good for a distance whether you have a line of sight or not, a laser is little use on a dogleg with no view, or from another fairway with rubbish in between! The reverse is also important for those with good iron control, as a 40 yd deep green will give you your ranges, but that might be 2 clubs different from front to back, depending on where you think the flag is?

I prefer the laser, but can also see the advantages of the GPS, and some of my friends with less steady hands have said they struggled to aim well, but most devices have good technology to combat that.

Hope this helps!

user466742
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 21:38

Thanks for all the input chaps! lots of food for though and i'm definitely going to look at those articles John!

user43763
Reply : Thu 30th Jan 2014 08:44

I use the garmin s1 approach, as the guys say, its not just learning how far away the pin is but you learn how far you hit your clubs, defiantly worth the £130 in my opinion

One note to mention however, if you go for a watch style one, although the white ones look considerably better, they get grubby.....VERY grubby. ive tried cleaning mine as I wear it for everyday use and it is a shadow of how brilliantly white it used to be. The only time I replace mine is when I cant stand the dirt any longer.

Battery lasts about 2 weeks with a round on it, 3 weeks ish with no golf played and can get 2 rounds from a full charge in one day

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top