Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Adidas ADIZERO

Posted by: user250721 | Fri 24th Jan 2014 16:30 | Last Reply

Just had this emailed to me by a local course. Is this a massive oversight by a big brand or did they know about this and just dont care?

'Unfortunately due to damage being caused by ADIZERO golf shoes, and as a measure to protect our greens, we have now put a band on the use of these shoes at this golf course'

There is also a picture, see below, of some quite visible damage to the greens.

Wondered what your thoughts were?

http://instagram.com/p/jjt4ntNQ9h/#">http://instagram.com/p/jjt4ntNQ9h/#

Last edit : Fri 24th Jan 2014 16:57
re: Adidas ADIZERO
user375014
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 22:29

looks like the spikes are too pronounced to me?

user44234
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 22:38

The shoes in the photo have only just been released by Adidas and have a different cleat configuration and a diffrent last for the sole, just looked at some today, so I'd doubt if they caused the damage in the photo. However last years version really do make a mess. One of our regular 4ball has recently bought the 2013 version and due to obviously wet greens his shoes make considerably more marks than any others. The sole of the shoe has a very small quite narrow footprint, compared to Adidas ATVs or Adipures with the same cleats. The same comment was raised several weeks ago on this forum so it is known about but has probably been highlighted due to wet greens. I've certainly not seen a problem during the summer

user246701
Reply : Sat 25th Jan 2014 09:28

Not the best poster, using pictures of shoes that have only just been released and highly likely nobody owns, and then using a picture of another golf clubs greens?

Can't understand why if the damage is so bad that you wan to ban some shoes that you wouldn't go and take pics of your own greens !

Personally I haven't seen the issues, our greens are never that wet that you leave indentations (and I worry if people are playing on greens that are that wet). The original picture looks like frost on spikes damage to me.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 25th Jan 2014 11:34

I also wonder if this opens up another question seeing that this issues seems to correlate back to wet greens.

Should the courses actually be open ?

user25808
Reply : Sat 25th Jan 2014 13:22

Looking at the picture of the green a similar thing happens at my club in the winter especially when frosty, build up of ice on the soft spike cleat turn them into rugby type studs. Then when the frost thaws you get marks like that on the wet greens. I wonder how scientific their research was into which shoe was doing it? I can't see the Adizero being any different to other shoes. We play on our regular greens all year round, it's just something you have to put up with playing golf in the winter in this country especially when it's been so wet. It also doesn't seem to do our greens much harm playing on them in the winter as they are usually superb for spring/summer golf.

user64715
Reply : Sun 26th Jan 2014 10:29

Can't say that I'm surprised. I tried these shoes just before the NvS last year and they have to be the most uncomfortable, unforgiving shoes I've ever tried on. The sole was made from rock hard plastic, and had no flex and they felt like a pair of rugby boots, they were so stiff.

user246701
Reply : Sun 26th Jan 2014 14:01

Hmmm, strange as most people they are super comfortable.

user16106
Reply : Tue 28th Jan 2014 20:30

I bought some of these , ref an earlier post because I left my shoes at home. Doh! I can vouch that they are like wareing mink lined slippers. If there is blanket ban then ill take em back to get my money back. Or ill just keep them and wear them around the house. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user26342
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 12:30

I bought a pair of these specifically to play golf in Spain. Out of the 8 of us that travelled half of us had either the 6 spike version or the Tour version. All of us agreed how comfy they were & would get another pair soon.

One did comment on how much they tore up the greens but I would imagine heavier players would leave more marks than a slender player

user38216
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 19:23

No offence taken John!

user26342
Reply : Fri 31st Jan 2014 17:04

It was the soft greens Dave!

user224024
Reply : Mon 20th Oct 2014 23:33

It's not the shoe itself. It's the new PINS cleats/spikes/softspike used by adidas. It sticks out much, much more. Compare them to any mates you have with tri-lok aka fastTwist. Your see a significant difference. Adidas have screwed this up and unfortunately so have FootJoy because they have adopted PINS for the Hydrolites and DNAs. The PINS system is a simple one-dimensional twist, and it's a bad design. Not recessed enough.

Last edit : Mon 20th Oct 2014 23:33
user224024
Reply : Mon 20th Oct 2014 23:38

And: I now have Hydrolites and they are very comfortable.... but if they get banded they are pointless!

Last edit : Mon 20th Oct 2014 23:38

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top