Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Getting some shoes! Advice.

Posted by: user565589 | Thu 23rd Jan 2014 20:34 | Last Reply

So, been at it a little over 4 months now and still loving it, so have decided to get me some proper golf shoes. I prefer the classic look over the sporty shiny ones and my feet are quite wide (size 11) Any suggestions? Noticed that there are some dunlop classic looking brown ones at sportsdirect for 20 quid, that seems very cheap and I wouldn't want them to start leaking or gall apart after a few months. Ecco have some beautiful brogues but they are pricey. Recommendations?

re: Getting some shoes! Advice.
user466742
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 21:04

You get what you pay for! Avoid Dunlop shoes...i had a pair...they leaked straight away and ended up falling apart after about 5/10 rounds. If i was you and wanted classic looking shoes I'd go for Foot-Joy. One of the best brands out there.

user565589
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 21:13

Yeah, footjoy or ecco seem to be the ones. I am tempted to grab a pair of dunlops at 20 quid though. Even if they do disintegrate after a month or two

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 22:35

If you have wide feet (like I do) then I would avoid Nike as they tend to be a bit narrow. Adidas also come narrow but they do offer a wide fitting which is much more comfortable. Footjoy standard fitting is quite forgiving and they are a good quality shoe. As they do a good rang, including the more traditional looking shoe, they would be a good starting point

user43763
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 13:05

I went through this last year and spent a few months deciding and reading up and like the others say you do get what you pay for. I got adidas wide fit, I wouldn't get them again, they took about 8 rounds to stop getting blisters however now they are very comfortable and great traction but I spent £50 and next time im going footjoy, a bit pricey but you can get a pair for about £30 and you wont regret it, I don't have anything against Dunlop but I would stay well clear of all of their gear if your going to get into the sport, when I started had a bag - broke, umbrella - broke, trousers - faded in 3 rounds, hat - broke, even a towel that ripped in the wind! just my experience

user553910
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 16:17

I've got a pair of Stylo II boots which are very wide and which I absolutely love. Very warm, very waterproof, and only £40. I've also got a pair of Ashworth Mesh Cardiff summer shoes which are unbelievably comfortable - I wear them round the house. £60.

user249902
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 16:21

Brian, I have had two pairs of Stuberts, both split; two pairs of footjoy both split and now alternate between my dunlops, two pairs total cost £35. If you are playng in waterlogged conditions then you'll get wet feet otherwise I haven't had any problems. A little on the heavy sside, but not too much that I find them uncomfortable.

At the other end of the budget if you are looking to spend a lot more then Ecco will be hard to beat, I have a pair of Cool Classics that are great in the summer, they look more like a pair of trainers and feel like slippers when your wearing them.

user565589
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 17:15

Theses are beautiful but pricey....

http://ecco-shoes.co.uk/Mens-shoes-Golf-Tour-Golf-Hybrid-Lion/Burnt-Ochre

Payday next week though.

Last edit : Fri 24th Jan 2014 17:34
user502775
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 19:55

Brian I love my foot joy dry joys for the winter months and puma spike less in summer they are like slippers and nice and wide fitting

user375014
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 22:34

Brian dont buy any Adidas shoes, always rub and take an age to wear in fully, bought a pair of adipure 360 year or so back nigh on £100 and still havent played a full round in them yet without sore blisters by the 10th or so. So then i have to change into my old ones ive been carrying in my bag. Mare!!! Footjoy or Nike next for me i reckon

user25808
Reply : Sat 25th Jan 2014 13:28

Footjoy Greenjoys are very good entry level golf shoe at around £40. I usually have a wider fitting but the greenjoys fit lovely in the standard fit. I play quite a lot of golf and I reckon I get about 2 years out of them.

user356537
Reply : Sat 25th Jan 2014 20:51

I've had Footjoy AQL's for more years than I can remember. I normally get 2 - 3 years out of them before they start letting in water which seems pretty good to me as they do get an awful lot of use.

user356537
Reply : Sat 25th Jan 2014 20:52

Mind you, you can get some cracking deals on Addizeros at the moment!

user289859
Reply : Sun 26th Jan 2014 19:20

honestly? Wait until the new Footjoy DNA's have been released...

user565589
Reply : Mon 27th Jan 2014 05:25

Thanks for all the advice guys. Got some dryjoys first round with them tomorrow at Mitcham.

user375014
Reply : Tue 28th Jan 2014 21:38

How were the shoes Brian, i reckon they probably help shave 8 shots off your round ? ?

user565589
Reply : Wed 29th Jan 2014 16:54

Shoes were great, kept my tootsies nice in dry in very wet conditions You may be right, perhaps they're my lucky shoes now? Reckon I'll break 100 in them next time!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top