Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

what ball to use

Posted by: user90608 | Wed 22nd Jan 2014 19:00 | Last Reply

I have a question or two regarding golf balls.I'm a 16 handicap and member of Stowmarket GC in Suffolk and i would like to know what type of ball is regarded as best during the winter months but in particular speaking as somebody who can't purposely put spin on a ball,is a soft ball wasted on me ? i tend to use a hard ball most of the time but that's more due to habit than anything,also would i progress as a golfer if i switched to a soft ball ? What would be the general advice ?

re: what ball to use
user467588
Reply : Wed 22nd Jan 2014 23:20

As a 22 handicap, I've started using Titleist DT Solo balls in place of lake balls and found balls. These were recommended by the pro who gives me lessons. He also explained that the very top end balls often do not help the mid handicap players as they are designed for those with a high swing speed who strike the ball well at all and would be a money waster.

The difference is palpable, though I must confess, I'm not sure whether it's down to using new balls that maybe haven't laid at the bottom of a lake or nestled in the rough for months on end. My ball striking is much improved, I understand when people talk about feel, my aim seems more true and putting seems more consistent.

I've noticed that my game has improved in steps. Getting to the point where the second hand irons I started with were replaced with a set suited to my height, swing speed & so on brought a significant step forward as did changing my driver for a more modern one once I conquered the dreaded slice. Regular lessons were another step forward and hopefully this experiment will lead to the next reduction in my handicap. Aiming for 18 at the end of this year.

I'm not sure my answer will help your particular dilemma but may give you some thing to think about.

user2879
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 10:49

I would recommend a mid-range golf ball for most of us unless your swing speed is over 100Mph. Personally, I use Srixon or Bridgestone balls and I like the e6 and e7 Bridgestone balls in the winter and switch to the B330 or z-star in the summer.

Softer balls are better for stopping quicker on greens but it depends on your approaches to greens. I like to hit it short and have it run up so a really soft ball is wasted on me. You need to fire it at the flag if you use a Pro v1 or equivalent

user80078
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 14:44

I would advise that whatever ball you choose, you play regularly with it. In this way you will know how it will respond off the clubface, particularly when chipping and especially when putting. I would personally choose Srixon or Titleist balls, but each to their own I say.

user530369
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 15:11

Michael Bonney gives best advice here - be sure to use the same make and model every round. A friend who works for Titleist swears blind that for all golfers the Pro V1 is the best option; of course he would say that but then he used to say it when he worked for Ping too. I tend to agree because the feel when putting with them is second to none and the putting green is where we make or break a round. I go out onto the Old Course on a Sunday (when it is shut) twice a year and find about 100 balls in a couple of hours - of which 50 are Pro V1s and perfectly usable. So it need not be expensive if you know where to look :-D

user50843
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 19:28

I honestly can't see any point in changing balls for the winter, I use 3 piece balls all year round ( ZStars or Prov1s) If your going to change to a different ball or try something new then I think winter is best time to do that, but for me it would take too long to get used to the totally different characteristics of the two types. Yes in winter we lose a little distance with a 3 piece ball but usually the tee's are up anyway so that is negated.

Last edit : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 19:29
user466742
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 20:10

Two balls i've been impressed with are the Srixon AD 333 and the Taylormade Superdeep. I'd pick super deep during the winter and switch to the AD 333 in the summer personally, but then i spin the ball one heck of a lot for a mid handicap golfer. They're both mid range balls and aren't too expensive. I'm definitely going to try Pro V1 in the summer to see if there really is that much difference between that premium ball and a mid range ball for higher spin rates. And FYI I've never personally gained much distance when using a harder compound ball compared with a softer one, maybe 5-10 yards MAX. But being able to spin the ball more in the summer definitely helps control the ball on the harder greens...that's why i switch rather than looking at distance differences.

user249902
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 16:27

if you fancy something different try Wilson Staff FG Tours, avaliable as blemished for £15 a dozen on line

user246701
Reply : Sun 26th Jan 2014 19:19

AD333 are a really good ball, and also Bridgestone E6 perform great for me too.

If you want more street cred then keep an eye on clubhouse golf and snainton for close out deals on last years balls.

Last edit : Sun 26th Jan 2014 19:20

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top