Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Did i chose right getting CG16 tour irons rather than CG 16

Posted by: user568340 | Tue 14th Jan 2014 23:28 | Last Reply

Hey Guys

I consider myself as a relatively new golfer. I started about 6 months ago but have managed to play on average 2 times a week. I also have been having a few lessons from my father in law who is a scratch golfer and has been for years. I was playing with some hand me down MDgolf irons and was advised to invest in some more because my swing was better than the clubs were suggesting.

Being 23 I dont have loads of spare cash lying around to spend on new clubs. I was advised to get some Cleveland CG16 irons as we found a good deal. I then found a better deal on some CG16 Tour irons with a free wedge so decided to go for them.

Before having the irons I was hitting around 100 on my local par 69 course (im a 28 handicap still). Since getting the clubs iv played 3 rounds, 103, 98 and 93. What im wondering is would i have seen this improvement with the normal CG16s? Should i have maybe got them first to bridge the gap considering my hadicap? I thought by getting the tour version they may last me longer so that i didnt have to invest again so soon.

Also just got myself a couple of hybrids so hopefully they will help me improve the score too!

re: Did i chose right getting CG16 tour irons rather than CG 16
user2879
Reply : Wed 15th Jan 2014 07:58

I don't think score is that important until you break down what is happening. Are you hitting fairways in regulation and greens or missing them and having to scramble? Are you chipping ok or hitting too many bad ones? Where do you drop your shots? If it's the same course you're playing, are you having bad scores on any particular holes? Are you practising or just playing? Are the clubs standard lie and loft and did you get a fitting? So many variables in there.

Without knowing whether you are making the same mistakes or, easily correctable ones, I don't think anyone can really advise you.

An example from me would be I don't hit enough fairways in regulation and therefore need to hit from the rough and am working on hitting more 5 wood than driver. I chip poorly for my handicap and am having short game lessons to fix that and I struggled with the 17th at the club in medals so I now hit 5 wood every time even though it means I can't get to it every time in regulation. Rather try to make a 4 from the green than try to salvage a 6 or 7 by a bad drive

user546815
Reply : Fri 17th Jan 2014 08:51

Some really good advive there Mbachi. im a 20 handicapper my brother is 26. theres noi doubt hes a better ball stricker but course management gives me the extra shots. I too recently invested in newer bats. i found they took a few rounds to get used to but then my scores started coming down a bit. Personnally i find that regardless of make and age use a club that you feel comfortable with

user555419
Reply : Sat 18th Jan 2014 12:20

Agree with above.

The notion that handicap is a good reference for what sort of clubs you want to be using does not make sense to me. It's all about ball striking, if you can shoot a 93 after a couple of rounds then you must be doing something right (wish I was) in the recent conditions.

In answer to your question, I say yes. If it makes you happy, and doesn't leave you quaking with fear when you address the ball, then why not play with some better player irons? It may prove beneficial in the long run, but if you start having confidence issues then perhaps have a fall back plan.

Hybrids are definitely a good way forward in the longer iron range, wish I had found that out earlier.

Good luck.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top