Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Left to right fade/slice

Posted by: user566513 | Sat 11th Jan 2014 18:16 | Last Reply

i've not been playing golf for very long. I have a bad tendancy to slice when using my driver. I don't have the same issue with my 3 wood or fairway wood. Any ideas on how to correct this issue would be gratefully recieved!!

re: Left to right fade/slice
user43763
Reply : Sat 11th Jan 2014 22:39

drop the driver? serious point, pick up another wedge or something. do you pull your short irons? what loft is on your driver, the driver tends to be the club that will expose all of your minor faults, its naturally the hardest club to hit. its either your leaving the club face open with an over the top swing or fact and path match up and you swing across the ball. hard to say really without knowing more or seeing your swing. im by no means a professional but some people on here are very, very good and they will be able to tell you a few tips im sure.

user566513
Reply : Sun 12th Jan 2014 09:59

Many thanks Alun, It is only my Driver i have the issue with. (10.5 degree)

user466742
Reply : Sun 12th Jan 2014 16:03

film your swing and try to see if you have an over the top swing as mentioned above. if you do, maybe think about lessons or search youtube videos for correcting an over the top swing. there are some great drills on youtube, check out mark crossfields channel, his videos have definitely helped my game and has a pretty simple video explaining an over the top swing if you haven't heard that description before.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 12th Jan 2014 20:49
user8399
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 23:28

Steve, please keep it simple. If you know a pro who gives good advice rather than forcing you to adopt many complex standard positions and moves have one lesson - tell him you are only going to have one driver lesson from him so he doesn't start to change one of twenty things over six months. You just need him to tell you which direction your clubhead is moving when you hit the ball.

Work out what type of slicer you are. Does the ball start out left or straight (I guess it's reasonable to assume it doesn't start out to the right). I'm assuming you are right-handed here. On the occasions you hit the ball solidly does it fly straight, presumably to the left? That's your best natural swing based on your current flexibility and physique, the direction of the club as it swings through the ball, and the fact that your clubface was at right-angles, i.e. square, to the swing direction. That should be all anyone is trying to do with their drive.

All you now have to do is adjust your alignment so that that solid swing sends the ball down the middle not to the left initially. Obviously, if your natural swing sends the ball to the left of the line across your toes you need to line your toes up to the right, i.e. a "closed" stance. Aim the clubface down the fairway, swing smoothly through without too much effort (slower swing increases your clubhead speed), and make minor alignment adjustments until it's as you want it. Note: you and every other golfer should do this every time you play because your body will be slightly different every time.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top