Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Smartphones now legal

Posted by: user446732 | Thu 9th Jan 2014 12:49 | Last Reply

http://www.usga.org/uploadedFiles/USGAHome/equipment/DMD%20flowchartv1-3.pdf

re: Smartphones now legal
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 13:08

Surely no club will implement this local rule ? To allow smartphones will either require an official to check that no 'unallowed' applications (ie anenometer, thermometer, club recommendations) are installed or get the golfer to sign to confirm this.

Obviously the key update within the USGA rules is that 'distance measuring' applications on smartphones are now legal with the various provisos. This is also a lot clearer than before.

user79538
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 15:54

At my club we brought in the rule recommended by EGU some years ago to say that they could be used but only if they did not include any other app which gave info that was not allowed (usually elevation and temperature).

We had a bit of an argument between two pairs in the winter final of our KO last year. Basically, one side was using a Bushnell device (laser range-finder), but one of the other pair had an i phone, and it was pointed out that i phones have a temperature app that cannot be turned off, so technically it breaches the rule that the device is allowed only if it measures distance, with other apps being turned off.

Needless to say our local rule had to be changed and now states that mobile phones CANNOT be used as a DMD and must be turned to silent or preferably turned off and only used in an emergency.

user25808
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 18:50

Is there a modern smart phone on the market that you could install a DMD app and still be legal? I doubt there is, an iPhone wouldn't be legal, most of the others, if not all, would also be illegal to use as a DMD.

Do many clubs bother about checking what devices players use in comps anyway, as far as I know, no one at my club has been Dq'd for using smart phones as DMD, plenty use them in comps

user246701
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 19:17

Why would the iPhone not be legal? AFAIK there is no temperature sensor or wind speed sensor in one, and assuming you don't have/use the other apps then you should now be fine.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 19:37

I think this part of the flowchart pretty much shows most are still illegal or at least a world of pain as Terry mentioned above.

Does the device contain other applications or features that, if referenced at any time during a round, might assist the player in his play (e.g., anemometer, thermometer or club recommendation)?

Adrian, the update from the USGA now does show that smartphone apps are legal based on the following quote and obviously meeting the above caveat

Is the distance measuringapplication capable of measuring conditions or providing information other than distance (e.g., wind speed, temperature or club recommendation)?

Last edit : Thu 9th Jan 2014 19:38
user25808
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 19:50

Hasn't it always been the case the apps were ok it's the device carrying the app which was the problem. Brian, the compass on the iPhone is enough to make it illegal to use as a DMD. Turning apps off doesn't make them legal either as rule clearly states. As I said earlier you would have to look extremely hard to find a smart phone you could use legally

user246701
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 19:57

I believe the compass rules have been changed this year, and it's not actually listed in the new flowchart either.

The new flowchart specifically states that for instance having the ability to record your swing, or measure gradient using the spirit on the phone will be fine, so long as the feature is not used during the round.

user246701
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 20:03

Btw the randa site includes a better Q&A section that also includes ....

Q. My smartphone has a compass feature. Can I use the phone as a distance-measuring device? Yes. A compass only provided directional information and does not gauge or measure variable conditions or assist the player in his play.

randa link

user25808
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 20:11

Was that new from Jan 1st? I see it's been revised.

Last edit : Thu 9th Jan 2014 20:12
user25808
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 20:17

I personal think us amateurs would get no benefit from knowing exactly what direction the wind is blowing or what temperature it is at the precise moment we might take a shot. So using an app on a smartphone which could tell other atmospheric conditions wouldn't matter. Unfortunately the rule makers think otherwise.

user246701
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 20:18

As above the compass decision was changed for 1st jan, and as a result they rewrote the flowchart and the Q&A section. Much better, but still not 100% that all smartphones are legal.

For instance some phones contain temperature sensors (New Samsungs seem to have thermometer and barometer)

user25808
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 20:30

You can access a weather site on your web browser on your phone now also, they may as well just change the rule so you can have what you like on the phone, it would be much easier for everyone

user24437
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 20:34

To be honest I think that this is all getting a bit pointless. Without a good grounding in physics I doubt many amateurs have the knowledge to utilise most of the information that could be gleaned from apps that provide this sort of thing. We're all provided with one of the best computers available anyway and this, ultimately will still be how most shots are played. Without googling anything, how many players here understand the effects that atmospheric pressure, relative humidity and temperature have on the flight of a ball? OK, wind speed is easy, but honestly, is it going to make any difference to what you do if the wind is 5 mph or 8 mph to the right? What if you're sheltered in the trees and the ball needs to fly into the open? Does it matter if you're hitting due north? Granted, the elevation may be of some use, but only if you know how far it is relatively to the green - knowing you're 15 m above sea level is only of any use if you know the surface you're playing to is 10 m below.

In summary, if you think that if you hit your 7 iron 150 yds, and you are 150 yds from the green then you'll always use a 7 iron then go ahead, whatever the conditions. In truth, we all know that we compensate naturally for the prevailing conditions and in the end your head sorts most of this out anyway. I just pray to god I never play with some amateur physicist who decides to work out what club to use because the pressure is rising to 1006mb and the humidity is dropping....

user246701
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 21:09

Isn't this the point though?

If all sensors on all phones were allowed. Then you would sit your phone on your trolley and walk up to you ball. The phone would gauge the temperature, humidity, height above sea level, direction and speed of wind above and below the tree line, it would know the gradient your at and realise that you need to club down a little to take some off the normal shot and it would pop up and say hit a 3/4 7 iron. It would record this info and next time the same conditions occurred it would make the adjustments to get another 10 yards on the ball.

Is that really what you want from golf?

user25808
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 22:17

Certainly not, I've had apps on phones before and now I have a stand alone DMD which is much more powerful and more accurate, not as precise as a laser but good enough for me. Suppose as long as the developers produce new devices and apps there will always be these types of discussions.

Does it really make any of us any better golfers, would we have the same handicaps and ability if we had to use yardage makers, course guides and our eyes? I wonder.

user446732
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 22:49

Adrian

A local rule which allows certain DMDs but not other conforming DMDs is illegal. It would be waiving a rule of golf which either allows DMDs or doesn't

user446732
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 22:54

The Decision re compasses was changed on 1 Jan. They are now permitted

http://www.usga.org/Rule-Books/Rules-of-Golf/Decision-14/#d14-3-4

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/6498/Viewer_phonein_powers_reduced_by_the_RA_and_USGA.html

Last edit : Thu 9th Jan 2014 22:55
user25808
Reply : Thu 9th Jan 2014 23:19

D H, my point was do clubs ever check or ask a player what they have on their phone. Obviously the revised rules allow for a lot more apps and functions to be installed on a smart phone.

user446732
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 09:23

Adrian Indeed. But do clubs ever check that balls or clubs are conforming? It's all down to honesty.

user25808
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 09:38

Thats correct D H, To play the game fairly and honestly every player should have some basic knowledge of the rules, it's amazing how some don't. At least now with the revised rules,regarding DMD, its clearer what you can have on a smart phone.

user25808
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 09:58

Thats correct D H, To play the game fairly and honestly every player should have some basic knowledge of the rules, it's amazing how some don't. At least now with the revised rules,regarding DMD, its clearer what you can have on a smart phone.

user356537
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 10:02

My understanding is that the Rules of Golf haven't changed per se but the interpretation of the rules has.

From the R&A website:

*Among the changes for 2014-2015, four decisions are particularly noteworthy:

New Decision 14-3/18 confirms that players can access reports on weather conditions on a smartphone during a round without breaching the Rules. Importantly, this new Decision also clarifies that players are permitted to access information on the threat of an impending storm in order to protect their own safety.*

It will be interesting to see what happens in national and regional competitions this year as the powers that be have always made it clear that DMD's on smart phones cannot be used and would result in the player being DQ.'d.

Richard

user567860
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 18:05

I really hope that they allow smartphones back. I use them all the time in practice and find it almost like a personal caddy! Here's to the smartphone generation!

user79538
Reply : Sat 11th Jan 2014 15:42

I think a few people have hit the nail on the head - whatever apps there are on a smartphone - do we as amateurs really know how to use them to our advantage; e.g. the temperature when you play a shot, or the exact elevation from where you are playing, to the green. Most of us use our brain to make a decision on which club to hit in a given situation, and the more we play hopefully the better we get at making that decision.

I also don't see any point in the R & A or USGA bringing in rules and regulations that most Golf Clubs couldn't enforce - i.e. we have to trust people, so why bring in some rule that MAY effect Pros, but is of no consequence to us as amateurs. To me the rules and regs which can't be checked easily by Golf Clubs might as well be done away with. I doubt the end result would be worth worrying about.

I have always tried to get a yardage chart for most clubs I play (strokesaver), and it acts not only as a distance finder, but also a memento of visiting the course. I've already packed the ones for the 3 courses I'm playing next week, but if anyone we play with has a DMD, it's always good to have a second opinion.

user446732
Reply : Sat 11th Jan 2014 21:49

Richard

It will be interesting to see what happens in national and regional competitions this year as the powers that be have always made it clear that DMD's on smart phones cannot be used and would result in the player being DQ.'d.

The England Golf hardcard does not say that. Most counties in England follow the EG card

It says Multi-functional devices such as mobile phones with a distance- measuring application may not be used, unless the application is restricted to “distance only” and the device does not have any other “non-conforming” features or applications.**

**England Golf’s advice on the use of mobile phones as a distance-measuring device: Because of problems over whether a particular phone conforms to the Local Rule and, therefore, to protect players from the risk of disqualification, England Golf strongly recommends that mobile phones are not used as distance-measuring devices.

Last edit : Sat 11th Jan 2014 21:49
user356537
Reply : Mon 13th Jan 2014 17:14

D H, I wonder if that is because England Golf have yet to update the hardcard for 2014? I've just been looking at the entry form for the Brabazon Trophy (for my son rather than me!) and I see that England Golf still have the 2013 Championship and General Event Conditions on their website. The wording you have quoted is identical to what was included on the hardcard in 2012 & 2013.

Have you seen something specifically referring to 2014?

I'll be speaking to our county secretary in the next few days. I'll see what Warwickshire are planning to do.

Last edit : Mon 13th Jan 2014 17:15
user446732
Reply : Mon 13th Jan 2014 19:07

Richard

I can't see why they would change the hardcard CoC other than to include the updates to the decisions and flowchart. The ** advice will no doubt remain the same. But I'm not sure why they haven't used the recommended LR in Appendix B.

Providing the Local Rule is in force, they cannot just ban conforming smartphones DMDs on their own as that would be waiving a Rule of Golf. They either ban all DMDs or none.

I will be at Wood Hall Spa next week. I'll see what they are proposing.

Last edit : Mon 13th Jan 2014 20:52
user99350
Reply : Mon 13th Jan 2014 23:09

New technology is getting us nearer to Rod Dangerfield's character with the putter in 'Caddyshack'. Personally I don't think that marginal changes in geographics could be used to much effect by pros who strike the ball the same everytime let alone us mere mortals. All this new gear is fine and dandy but can never take into account the way the ball is struck...if it's not struck cleanly no amount of technology will help.

user53837
Reply : Wed 21st Jan 2015 08:50

Have there been recent changes on this again ?

Last edit : Wed 21st Jan 2015 08:50
user446732
Reply : Sun 25th Jan 2015 19:03

No.

Last edit : Sun 25th Jan 2015 19:03
user446732
Reply : Wed 28th Oct 2015 10:28

2016 chang

14-3/0.5 Local Rule Permitting Use of Distance-Measuring Device Q. May a Committee, by Local Rule, permit the use of distance-measuring devices? A. Yes. A Committee may establish a Local Rule allowing players to use a device to measure or gauge distance only (see the Note to Rule 14-3). However, if a distance-measuring device has additional functionality that can gauge or measure other conditions that might affect a player’s play (e.g. elevation change, wind speed, etc.), the use of any such additional function would be a breach of Rule 14-3. In the absence of such a Local Rule, the use of a distance-measuring device would be contrary to Rule 14-3. (Revised)

Last edit : Wed 28th Oct 2015 10:28

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top