Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

How did you do in 2013, courses played, handicap etc

Posted by: user79538 | Tue 7th Jan 2014 10:27 | Last Reply

Darren posted this same question for 2012, and as it doesn't seem to want to stop raining; I'm going to spend a little time looking at how I did over the last year. How was your golf in 2013? Did you play more, less, any new courses, any highlights for the year? Handicap going up or down?

re: How did you do in 2013, courses played, handicap etc
user2879
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 12:36

I have just checked my records for last year, I played 21 other courses in total last year as well as my club. From a handicap point of view, I got my official EGU handicap down from 8.5 to 5.7 and target 4 for this year. I played in a few opens at different clubs and will look to play more this year as it's a great way to play other courses for a decent price.

We are blessed in Peterborough as there are a lot of courses that are decent within a reasonable drive (90 mins at most).

Here is a list of the courses I played. My home club is Elton Furze Golf Club.

Orton Meadows, Greetham Lakes, Greetham Valley, Shendish Manor, Sheringham, St Neots, Brocket Hall, Thorpe Wood, Seacroft, Tudor Park, Rochester and Cobham, Pidley, Toft, Woburn Duchess, Woburn Marquess, Alhama, El Valle, Las Colinas, Hacienda del Alamo, Rutland Water, Peterborough Milton and Belton Woods Lakes Course.

user546815
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 14:01

Hi, Ive played more in 2013 than in the last 8 years or so and its been great! because of a long break from the game i didnt really have a handicap. but managed to end 2013 around 20. ive just joined Sleaford Golf Club so i plan on playing as much as i possbily can. i hope to get my handicap down to approx 16 during 2014.

user24437
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 14:18

Interesting year all round for me. Had 32 recording rounds on here, 38 rounds in all, with only a couple on the same course and 6 new courses for me. Dropped my handicap by 0.6 but that doesn't really show the big picture, started off at 15.1 and plummeted to 13.5 after my best ever round when I shot an 8 over 77 at the Nottinghamshire which included three 3 putts and an OOB bogie! Form has been up and down generally, ball striking has been good when it's good, but atrocious otherwise - something to work on.

Got through to the GTour semi-final again and made a complete hash of the second day (again).

One of the most interesting experiences was caddying for Rob Vidler in the Trilby Tour where we (well, he) powered through a nerve racking qualifier to get to the final at Rockcliffe. Hopefully get to do that again.

Still, off to Portugal gain in a few weeks, just hope the broken toe sustained over Christmas doesn't affect me too much.

user249902
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 15:50

manged to get my handicap dowm from 22 to 18 during the year, had a new set of sticks custom fitted, played a few new courses and a few return visits. New courses for 2013 included the following Aylesbury Park, Hollinwell, Woburn Dukes, Woburn Duchess, Belfry PGA, Gainsborough Thonock Park, Gainsborough Karsten Lakes, Hillop Birmingham, Tadmarton Heath, Three Locks, Spalding, Walsall GC, Leamington and County, Kings Lynn GC, Handsworth GC, Cherrington Minchampton, Avening Minchampton, Peterborough Milton, Willesley Park, Westhill GC, Ryehill GC, Ullesthorpe, Brampton Park, Lickey Hills

Last edit : Tue 7th Jan 2014 15:52
user2879
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 21:34

Robert, what did you think of Milton, Brampton and Spalding. Kings Lynn is on my list to play this year as I've been told its very good but played the others

user23669
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 23:23

very well, Played about 10 new courses, Joined Dorset's top course. Dropped 4.7 off my handicap,joint winner of Wessex Amatuer Golf tour order of merit, winning 2 events & 3rd place in another. I also won the last qualifying club competition to complete the year.

user79538
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 10:03

So here's my own report on 2013:

Played my home course 129 times (not all complete rounds, and 20 or so rounds less than in 2012). The total includes 48 rounds from the Medal tees, but does not include Greensomes, Foursomes and Texas Scrambles - as Secretary of my Club I play in almost every Club Competition. Played only 20 "away" rounds, which only included 4 new courses (all of which I reviewed as usual Darren).

Handicap started 2013 at 9.5, and for a change reduced steadily to my lowest ever handicap of 8.2 in May. Climbed occasionally during the summer to a high of 9.0, but did get back down to 8.3 shortly after that, and finished the year at 8.6.

At my home course I birdied every hole from the yellow tees, but couldn’t birdie 4 holes from the Medal tees, and didn’t get any eagles at all this year. I did however shoot my best ever round from the Medal tees of a 2 over par 74 which was also better than any round off yellows in 2013 and came in the middle of a ‘purple patch’ of competition golf which lasted for the whole of May. Worst round was 94 from the Medal tees in August. Best ‘away’ round was 33 stableford points to win the 55 to 70 age group at the Ramsey Senior Open in June, although I also had two other away rounds of 33 points.

Memorable bits from 2013 were:- My lowest ever handicap of 8.2 (I’ll be 60 early in 2014 so I doubt I’ll ever get lower). Won the Seniors Tankard Knock-out. Won the Secretary’s Cup - Pairs Knock-out. Got picked for the Scratch Team to play in the County Winter Foursomes league. Won my first ever Scratch Match (at home, having led all the way) Lost my second ever Scratch Match on the last hole (away, having fought back to all square after 17).

For 2014 - Got a week booked in Portugal during January, so looking forward to that. Playing 6 rounds at the Pestana Hotel owned courses which the golfshake regulars play in February – 2 rounds each at Pinta, Gramacho and Silves.

Have a great golfing year everyone - here's hoping we achieve at least some of our goals in 2014.

Terry Gardner, Club Secretary, Mowsbury Golf Club

user24437
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 10:39

Terry, let us know how the Pestana courses are playing, a bunch of us are off there for our annual trip in February - playing all those plus Vila Sol and Alto. Would like to know if the Alvor Sports Bar and the Chill Out are open really...

user516308
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 14:29

Wasn't satisfied with my overall season, although I came down 4.2 shots, I concentrated on reducing my handicap far too much which had a negative affect in medals, I play well below handicap in Opens and other non-qualifying comps, so the message is, just go out and enjoy it more this year

New courses played in 2013

West Lancs Tadmarton Heath The Drift Spalding Minchinhampton Cherington Minchinhampton Avening) Beedles Lake Formby Royal Liverpool Pyrford Silloth on Solway Preston Studley Wood Copsewood Belton Park Trryells Wood Aylesbury Park Wallasey Cooden Beach St Annes Old Links Beau Desert Fulford Moortown Fairhaven West Hill Centurion Club Royal Porthcawl Brampton Heath

Probably missed the odd one here & there.

Plenty of new courses already booked for 2014, more so Open competitions, I'm looking for a more relaxed, less stressful golfing year this campaign.

Biggest highlight, my 1st sub 80 in a club comp

Last edit : Wed 8th Jan 2014 14:30
user79538
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 21:05

Tim

I'll try to remeber to check if Alvor Sport Bar and Chill Out are open. We are going a week later than last year in the hopes that our favourite bar will be open - Dicey Riley's run by Jason Coates and his Swedish wife. Last year they were redecorating when we were there and only due to open the week after we left. If you get the opportunity to call in, he is a good musician and has the usual Irish 'gift of the gab'. There are also 2 great guitarists who regularly play at Black Stove - can't remember their names, but worth a look in.

user567860
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 18:08

The best course i played this year was definitely the Grove in Watford. Absolutely stunning, and the greens were like glass. One of those courses whereby if you hit a putt on line, you knew that it was going to drop... Unlike your standard pay and play course!

Would definitely recommend this to anyone!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top