Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Are Course Closures such a bad thing?

Posted by: user30263 | Tue 7th Jan 2014 08:06 | Last Reply

During this horrendous spell of Wet weather, is it such a bad thing for courses to be closed? Regularly see updates of Courses having Greens Teams get them open or part open when surely only a handful only want to go out & play? No Buggies or Trolleys but foot traffic still causes grass damage & Divots / pitchmarks are rife. Why not just close & protect The courses?

re: Are Course Closures such a bad thing?
user79538
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 10:36

I agree Darren - protect the course. Ours was open at the weekend, and I went out on Sunday. The weather was good on the day, but we had so much rain over Friday/Saturday that it really should have been closed. There was standing water all round the course (not the greens which drain quite well), and we have 'preferred lies through the green' (i.e. everywhere but hazards). A number of the bunkers were full of water, and the ditches were full. As I'm retired, I do realise it is easy for me to say close the course - but some people book a day's holiday to play golf, as I used to do, in which case you go out no matter what the conditions! This week - I've told everyone I normally play with during the week; that I'm not going out unless it's dry, and there is no rain forecast, especially as I'm off to play in the Algarve for a week from next Monday!

user2879
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 12:25

I was disappointed to find my course was open on Saturday as the weather locally was awful with a lot of rain coming down. They did shut on Sunday which was correct. I would rather they shut and protect the course because the one thing we want is a course in good nick and not gouged by trolley tracks or, heavens forbid, buggy tracks.

user467588
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 19:11

I played the back nine at our course, just outside Southampton, on Friday, and to be honest it wasn't great. The front nine was closed due to standing water on the greens and the back nine was then closed over the weekend.

I think it comes down to a balance where the club needs revenue coming in as the club staff still have to be paid but it will cost more if the course is wrecked now and doesn't recover for the spring. A bit of good thinking has closed the clubhouse for food to let the staff re-decorate it while it's going to be quiet.

The range is open, though, to allow a bit of our fix by hitting balls.

I reckon if the forecast is correct, reasonable golf should be possible by the beginning of next week.

user30263
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 19:53

Makes no sense? Surely no guests are going to play in such conditions,therefore where are they going to lose revenue? All staff are on a salary so surely welfare of the course should come first? Members can't be that desperate to play either at present?

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 02:57

I was once told "A course should close itself". The problem isn't during the bad weather, its afterwards when the skies are clear and it has warmed up but the ground is still sodden.

user246701
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 12:13

Haven't need to close, as we drain incredibly well, and we are usually full of visitors as many courses in the area close .... had a group of 8/10 players join us from another course close when their course was closed too often earlier in the year and they all joined us instead.

Plus we have 8 reciprocal course to choose from if required

Last edit : Wed 8th Jan 2014 12:32
user516308
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 14:08

We've only been closed 1 day to date which is pretty amazing, I think in honestly it should have been more but I think most clubs are struggling for turnover (revenue) and closing the course is becoming a huge negative affect to them that they end up risking further damage to the course by keeping it open, which is a conflict of interest IMO.

user80078
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 16:08

I understand the conflict of interests as I played on a 9 holer this morning (just fancied a change from my home course) and it could be described as barely playable. One could have claimed relief for almost every fairaway shot. That said we were using a two for one voucher from our local paper, which further goes to demonstrate the delicate financial position courses are finding themselves in. I'm just glad I do not have to make a living in this day and age. Sadly players were neglecting to repair the huge ball indentations on the greens, which only make the course recovery even more long term. You might think that that the golfers would appreciate being able to get a round in, enough to do basic repairs to greens.

user516308
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 16:17

Far more damage is done when simply taking a divot in the winter, never mind not replacing them. Anything under 6 degrees, and I mean ground temperature, then the root system is almost damaged beyond repair, this is why it is better to carry seeded sand than replace divots, even though the seeds won't take under 8 degree's, dressing the divots is far more friendly and aids recovery better than a dead soggy divot. How many faded dead divots do you see strung around the fairways, plenty at times, that's because they can't take again during winter!

user30263
Reply : Wed 8th Jan 2014 21:18

For courses which are lucky enough to drain well & also have extra holes to use no problem.But IMHO courses look to be opening too quickly & without knowing what foot traffic they will get. For the sake of a few members who want to get away from the Missus most members want their course to do what's right rather than rush to open for the sake of it?

user467588
Reply : Sun 12th Jan 2014 14:49

Norman, it was Chilworth.

The back nine has a sandy base and this drains very well, whereas the front is more like pasture, has the water hazards as well.

Peter

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top