Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Driving ranges need modernising

Posted by: user375014 | Fri 3rd Jan 2014 23:15 | Last Reply

Most of the driving ranges i go to as in the area although are ok and have what you would expect at a range, i cant help thinking they are missing a trick with the likes of being able to somehow practise putting, or being able to take 100 balls off the grass in one section and bunkers in another section. I'd go so much more often if i could do all these. Why dont they flood light one good maintained green or something like that?

re: Driving ranges need modernising
user24437
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 01:09

Well, I'm lucky here. I've got two within a couple of miles which are reasonable, one even lets me play off the small grass area sometimes. However, drive a couple of miles and we have a range that has autoloaders, covered outdoor area off mats, a massive practice bunker and best of all a huge grass area (were I spend most of my time!). Seems the only way to practice properly in my opinion, I rarely miss hit anything off a mat, but off grass.... Not only that but the balls are also decent too.

user566390
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 09:08

I think this is a very good point but the root of the problem stems from the 1980's and 1990's. This was the time that farmers were churning out golf courses on poor quality land that was for want of a better word un - farmable. If they did not have enough land for a course a quick build or self built steel frame some corrugated sheets and a few mats and away you go. Yes I know that simplifies it very much but the basic facts are correct. Within 15 miles of my home I can list probably 10 courses that were built in this period and out of those there is only one good one. They all failed to invest in drainage and when you county is predominantly clay it shows lack of foresight. I don't want to go on and into specifics but, a "Quick Buck" is what our friends from across the pond would say.

user375014
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 22:49

Tim where do you live as that sounds great to me,i'd love to pratise off the grass and use all the modern things we have now to help assist practise ,but unless your having a lesson its not possible. Even mirrors, my nearest range has one moveable mirror.

user24437
Reply : Sun 5th Jan 2014 12:15

Nick. The range is at Morley Hayes, Derbyshire (unfortunately for you!). It also has a decent 9 hole course, a cracking 6710 yard 18 hole course, a couple of decent bars, restaurants and a small hotel. It's also home to the East Midlands golf academy and I've seen Lee Westwood zoom in by helicopter on a number of occasions. Interestingly, it's one of the '80's ex-farm places Bob mentioned in his post, but they actually took the time to do it properly.

As an aside it has been through some sticky patches as I understand but is doing well at the moment, but from day one it has never been a members club, only pay and play.

Some nice pictures and info here http://www.morleyhayes.com/

user26342
Reply : Sun 5th Jan 2014 17:30

I'm lucky as my course has a huge grassed outdoor area to practice on. We also have a grassed short game area with bunkers. Then there's the very good putting green.

user417395
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 07:05

i go to my local de vere they have installed the 6060 golf worth checking out as you can try a lot of scenarios short game long game and even a full round with feedback from the app. It has a bunker area putting green and pitching area well worth a visit when course in the condition it is lately

user235379
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 22:24

I have 2 ranges near by, the nearest is a waste of space with terrible balls (even for a range) and your lucky if it's open at any time of the day, the next is fantastic, it's attached to my home golf course, it's got 27 bays, a cafe, toilets and the huge pro shop is open till 8 midweek, they have offers on balls which I think at the moment is £1.75 for 50 balls at certain times of the day, can't go wrong

user567860
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 18:14

Down where i am there is barely a range to be able to practice on, annoyingly! And, the one that there is (i won't mention...), they have 60% compressions range balls so it's completely a waste of time. I completely agree with you here!

user235379
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 18:39

I normally take all the balls I find on the course and hit them on the range before my game

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top