Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Weather - when do you call it a day?

Posted by: user375014 | Fri 3rd Jan 2014 23:10 | Last Reply

Played a round today, started off blue skies and within ten 25 mins, and just about far enough from the clubhouse, it started raining heavily soon followed by thunder n lightning, then force winds with hail stones!!
This continued for about 15 mins by which time all the greens were full of standing water, bunkers etc, so as i headed up the 8th thinking i wont be heading onto the 10th and would call it a day, the sun came out on the 9th!! So i carried on whole round pi55 wet through and with standing water all over the place but still this is what winter golf is about.

So when do you call it a day?

re: Weather - when do you call it a day?
user469358
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 02:18

I also played today Nick. When I left home it was a nice day with blue skies and by the time I got to the course half an hour later it had gone a little grey but not too bad. However, immediatly after I hit my tee shot on the 2nd I was assaulted by hail stones the size of golf balls which were quite painfull. Took shelter for a while but was determined to carry on despite heavy showers strong wind and occaisional thunder. Was also soaked and wet and cold and like yourself had soogy greens etc which made putting a lottery. Considerd walking off after the 10th near the car park but had some respite for a while before it started blowing a gale and chucking it down after the 16th which was near the clubhouse and so for me that was when to call it a day. Golf is meant to be a pleasurable passtime rather than a test of endurance. I arrived home to clear blue skies just like when I left earlier! Doh!

user566390
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 09:19

Nick, I used to love my winter golf when I was still working, but these days my thinking has changed a lot. I used to enter every winter competition going, if it went on the board my name was on it. My thinking then was 2 rounds this weekend then the 5 day grind of work. How keen was I? +2's +4's and long thick stockings so the trousers did not need washing all the time, looked ridiculous but needs must, as they say. Now I wont play if the ground is very boggy (Which is most of the winter in Warwickshire) or if it's raining and if I am playing and it come on more than a very light shower I will either play my way back to the clubhouse or just walk off without inconveniencing other players.

user260129
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 10:31

Only when the course is closed!!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 13:34

When you play the same course all the time you get to know "where the weather is coming from" and can plan ahead. Once played a Team match at Filey where 10 of us ended up in one of the huts for ten minutes. No room for our clubs though.

My rule now is 'Course open and not raining, out I go'. I will not start a social game in the rain.

user80078
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 15:29

Now I am retired, my thinking is very similar to Bob's. (miss my +2's) My home course drains very quickly and rarely becomes boggy due to limited use, so it is wind and rain that will stop me playing. I have too many memories of having to play winter league matches in dreadful weather and have become a bit choosey now I'm a social golfer only. After all, there's always tomorrow! Hopefully......

user2879
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 20:09

I played 18 today, it rained throughout but I still enjoyed the day. I invested in some Galvin Green gear last year and it kept me dry today but the course was soaked. It was a society day so I played, would have pulled out if it was just social golf just like David. I will recommend rain gloves, they allowed me to grip securely all day.

user375014
Reply : Sat 4th Jan 2014 22:45

good to see you guys have a similar aproach to winter golf as me.

I have an under arm t shirt hat and gloves and worked a treat. bottom half was wet n cold though.

Anyone know if i should expect a refund or a credit if i had walked off the course due to unplayable greens etc as i am not a member id paid full whack £26 for that round, so wasnt going to give it up easily.

p

user249902
Reply : Sun 5th Jan 2014 17:42

thunder and lightening would normally be enough for me to walk.

As for refunds, I guess its up to the discreton of the golf club, athough I would argue playing during lighting is dangerous

user99350
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 13:45

It depends on how far I have come. If it's a day out then I'll play unless course is closed. Two worst days were soociety do's to Flamboro (sunny in Leeds... looking a bit dodgy N Yorks Moors.... visibility down to 20yds when we got to Flamboro for 17 holes) and Romanby... (rain non stop for 15 holes). Thing that gets me is the forecast. Why don't they say that they just don't know?? All you get from them is 'sunshine & showers'.... what else is there??. I didn't play Sat because of the forecast which was duff as it ended up being a fine day.

user235379
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 22:34

I played Sunday and it was a bit chilly when we went out but after about 5 holes it started to rain, by the 9 we were literally freezing and I couldn't feel my fingers, it was time to call it a day after the 10th, I ain't no fair weather golfer but when I can't feel my fingers....that's another story

user26342
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 06:59

It was probably about 2 weeks ago when we had prepaid to play the PGA, Belfry.

We knew the weather was going to be bad & it was already raining when we arrived. We still teed off but after 4 holes we turned around & made our way back to the clubhouse. The wind was gale force & was blowing bags / trolleys over & the rain got heavier.

Pity really as I was only 1 over par gross!!

user555419
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 07:34

And with a name to suit John!

user99350
Reply : Tue 7th Jan 2014 13:09

What a bummer John. You might have done a caddyshack.

user567860
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 18:16

Depends on the dedication... I was out practicing the other day in the cold and pouring rain, and stayed out there just for the love of the game. If it's sunny and hot, i stay out and enjoy it. If it's cold and wet, i stay out and enjoy it... Not always the easiest way to approach it though!

user538490
Reply : Thu 16th Jan 2014 15:03

myself and my best pal went out sunday were surprised to find not on winter greens because of fairly heavy frost but luckily was brill. with a fair few layers on was warm enough we both wore winter gloves and came in after eighteen even colder and frostier than when we teed off. my pal joked most of the way round of playing ice golf. as i was in for my first session of chemotherapy yesterday we both felt it was a had to do thing in playing not sure when we will get out next but we feel you just have to play when you can

user23669
Reply : Thu 16th Jan 2014 22:00

I played years ago at Cheddington in awful condititions. Strong winds & light drizzle when we started. We only decided to play as we'd driven nearly 50 miles for the game.

I hit a 350 yard drive with a hell of a lot of wind assistance, second had a dog leg left - right with strong wonds from the right. I thought I lost the first so after my friend hit his shot out to the right to allow for the wind it didn't deviate one inch from his line, just through pure physics it should of gone left.

The third was a par 3& the 4th Par 4 into the strong wind when the heavens decided to open and the course was getting wetter by the minute. Fortunately the 5th turned away from the wind making it a little easier and I was on the front edge of the green in regulation . There was 3 rivers running across the green that I tried to putt through.

For some stupid reason we played the 6th hole before calling it a day resulting in a walk of about 3/4 mile back to the clubhouse. The club gave us a 2 for 1 voucher to return within a year which they didn't have to do as we started our round.

Having now played the course fully twice now fully I have to say that the first 6 holes were the best on the course, sadly it has now closed and reverted back to farmland.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top