Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

what's killing Golf clubs? interesting report, but no surprise.

Posted by: user77012 | Tue 31st Dec 2013 11:55 | Last Reply
re: what's killing Golf clubs? interesting report, but no surprise.
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 31st Dec 2013 12:06

Key points of Sky Sports News golf survey of 254 golf club

• 70% say membership down over past 5 years
  • 81% say 51+ is predominant membership demographic
  • Only 1% say 31-40 is dominant membership group
  • 75% say female membership has dropped over past 5 years
  • 60% have seen a drop in youth membership numbers over past 5 years
  • 37% say they've lost more than 31 days of business due to bad weather in past 3 years
  • 34% say they've lost 15-31 days of business due to bad weather in past 3 years
  • 22% say they've lost 8-14 days of business due to bad weather in past 3 years.
  • 94% say slow play is problem at club level
  • 91% say problem would be eased if Tour dealt more effectively with slow play
  • 92% says biggest talking point in club this year is slow play while only 8% says anchored putting

I was surprised that so few saw little impact following key golfing days. Here on Golfshake we see massive spikes in terms of rounds added and golfers out playing:

• 29% say The Masters has significant impact on business.
  • 64% say success of British players on Tour makes no impact on their business
  • 21% says Open Championship has significant impact on business
user64715
Reply : Tue 31st Dec 2013 20:52

Why are the clubs blaming the slow play on the tour players? Surely it is up to the club to get people moving along. Certainly individuals have a responsibility but only the club has a better overall idea of speed of play and act accordingly.

user23669
Reply : Tue 31st Dec 2013 23:25

If you see the pros in no great rush us amatuers do the same. Just like in other professional sports what you see on TV works it down the line to our game.

I remember when a player score a goal and his teammates went up to him to congratulate them, now every idiot seems to think they have to have a celebration worthy of an oscar nomination. At least that hasn't arrived in golf yet when you get an eagle!

user375014
Reply : Wed 1st Jan 2014 20:17

unfortunately the slow play i see on my local courses is down to the likes of eldery people and elderly women, and lower handicappers spending too long searching for lost balls, or just simply not being able to take a long enough first and second shot to be concidered long enough away down the fairway for you to safely tee off. As we've ll been there, there isnt much that can be done on this point other than educating players to take a drop more often and stop spending too long searching for losts balls, of course when not playing in a comp or something, and just teaching people to have a conscience and a duty to try allow others through and to be as quick as possible throughout the round.

user430247
Reply : Sun 5th Jan 2014 16:07

i live nr 4 golf clubs ,i,v played 3 off them (only been playing golf 4 yrs) the club i have not played yet , and i say its got to be killing this club , u can drive past it and look across about 9/10 holes and no one is playing ,but if u phone them and ask for a t-time for a 4ball , they say menbers only ?? and if you say but there is no one out playing they just say sorry menbers only again ,,,4 ball cash come on ,,

user26342
Reply : Sun 5th Jan 2014 17:26

Peter, I'm a member at a private golf club & pay around £1100 a year. Apart from like minded members, good clubhouse etc I also have the luxury of just turning up & playing without worrying about tee times etc.

The other good thing is that you get to know when the 'slow' players tee off so you can avoid them!

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 00:41

Peter,

There are a number of clubs, usually older ones, that are financially sound and don't want or need visitors Green-Fees. Membership to these clubs will usually be well over £1000pa and the members who pay this will want exclusive use of their course.

I know a number of people who left a Club near me because they allowed too many visitors and as members, struggled to get a tee-time when they wanted to play.

Last edit : Mon 6th Jan 2014 00:43
user298481
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 08:48

Slow play is an issue for sure but the main reason is surely economic, with the cost of living rising and squeezing "middle income" families surely the average family man just doesnt have the "spare" cash to pay the £1000 a year (and basically all the courses in my area are at least this cost) knowing that he may only play 20 or 30 times a year.

user534659
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 20:33

slow play is becoming a more increasing "problem" at golf clubs but to say its the main reason I believe is not the case. What I do feel is that with the current economic problems people want value for money and are evaluating whether membership gives them that. I also feel that courses need to do more to keep members "happy" and also need to do more to encourage new members. As for juniors well speaking from experience (my son) clubs and their members should be encouraging juniors but seem to see them as encroaching into own "little golfing world". Get behind the juniors and more will follow (probably with either their friends or family).....

user430247
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 21:36

john/dave ,, the club i,am on about r asking for menbers ,with adds in local paper and a big a banner up on the rd out side the club and now let people (none golfers) in to watch the football on the big tv in the bar ,,

user235379
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 22:27

Mark galvin, if I get an eagle it's shirt over the head and run around for 3 minutes

user235379
Reply : Mon 6th Jan 2014 22:31

Catch 22, if you just go around to pay and play then you seem to want to be able to play when ever you desire, but if you hand over your hard earned money to a club then surly you would expect your club to reserve tee times so you can walk onto your own club whenever you want without queuing up behind the public

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top