Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Dont forget your golf shoes

Posted by: user16106 | Sun 15th Dec 2013 19:20 | Last Reply

If this post helps one person not forget his / her golf shoes then its been worthwhile. Have just bought a new pair of golf shoes 3-4 weeks ago. Cost me £30. I normally drive to golf and pick up my mates. Today was someone elses turn. We loaded the clubs in his boot made our way to the course 15 mile away and halfway there i shouted out "flip" ive left my shoes behind. I got to the pro shop and said whats your cheapest pair. £45 he said but he didnt have my size DOH! Whats your cheapest pair in a size 9 or 9 1/2 as they were adidas. £75. HOW MUCH ! Whats the best you can do, I said. Well Ive got some new stock coming in January you can have em for £50. Still more than I would like to spend but they were like wearing slippers and my feet were bone dry afterwards ( as they should be ) so I now have 2 pair of golf shoes. Moral is dont forget your shoes especially if youve no money on your card. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

re: Dont forget your golf shoes
user24437
Reply : Sun 15th Dec 2013 23:13

I was given some advice many years ago by a venerable old golfer about the time when shoes were custom made and were one of the most expensive bits of kit you owned. He always had at least two pairs made. Was that so that the leather had time to rest and extended the life of both pairs (like I do with my walking boots), I asked? No, he said, it means there's always at least one pair in the car..

user545105
Reply : Sun 15th Dec 2013 23:28

I have almost done that Dave, I was meeting a friend and packed kit. Got about half way there when had the same as you OH No. Turned round and picked them up and started out again, only to get stuck in Saturday shopping traffic, made the tee time by 5 min. Now I always check to see they are in car.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 02:25

When travelling to golf (always had a locker at Filey GC) I made a point of putting a pair in the big pocket of my bag.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 16th Dec 2013 21:34

Same thing happened to me.

Playing the GTour Semi-Final at Belton Woods GC a couple of year ago.

Arrived at the golf club to realise that I had forgotten my golf shoes.

Pro shop had a pair in for £35, only not in my size.

Had to buy a pair of Nike shoes for £70.

Still got them and using them regular.

After this incident I bought myself a shoe bag.

Then I hang/put them on my golf bag. When I pick up the golf bag I have to pick up my shoes as well!

Expensive lesson!

Russ

user565589
Reply : Tue 17th Dec 2013 15:26

This is going to sound terribly naive but how important are golf shoes? I've only been playing a couple of months and am yet to invest in a pair. I've been using an old pair of sturdy but very comfortable black brogues and they seem fine grip wise and look like golf shoes. How much difference would a pair of "proper" spiked shoes make for a beginner like me? Also, no one has pulled me up about not having the correct foot wear as yet, is it obligatory at certain clubs?

user24437
Reply : Tue 17th Dec 2013 16:59

Brian.

Have you not got spikes (cleats)? If not you'll suffer as it gets wetter. It's not that soft spikes give you a huge amount of grip but it does stop your feet slipping both when hitting a shot and walking. If I were you I'd get a cheap pair - my first Dunlops were basically moulded rubber, waterproof and ridiculously comfortable - only problem was if you trod in a puddle and they shipped water, it didn't come out. Not sure if they make them any more though.

As you get a bit more used to them and play more it's worth getting a decent pair or two (after all if you do 36 holes you could be walking quite a few miles), just find a brand that fits your shape feet. Footjoys seem to fit my feet out of the box, others just can't get a pair to fit.

PS - just had a look on Sports Direct - £20 can get a decent starters pair - go for ones with replaceable spikes.

user246701
Reply : Wed 18th Dec 2013 13:47

Totally depends on your course as to whether spikeless are acceptable during wetter periods. Our course is usually very dry (built on chalk) and many members are still using the spikeless shoes with little issues.

Keep an eye on the major shops and you can generally pick up a bargain, eh. Golf depot selling off the Adizero 6-spike shoes for £29.99 ... If your lucky your can even get American Golf to price match them if they both have the right colour and size in stock (saving another 10% on the price)

user16106
Reply : Thu 19th Dec 2013 19:17

Nice one Brian you just made my day. Those are the same as the ones I just paid 50 sheets for. HURRAH. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user28838
Reply : Fri 20th Dec 2013 13:10

Tim - your first pair of Dunlops sound like my first ever pair of golf shoes (about 30 years ago). They were rubber and came in black with a white one of those old fashioned flaps over the laces, or plain brown. I had the brown which looked great with my pin-striped jeans (how times change - fashion-wise and acceptable clothing-wise). As you say they were totally waterproof, stupidly comfortable and I only changed them as I couldn't find any replacement spikes when I needed to after about 10 years (I didn't play as much then!)

After playing in the Northumbrian rain/hail/sleet/snow yesterday I wish shoes still had those flaps to prevent water getting into your shoes via the tongue/laces. A case of style over practicality methinks.

user24437
Reply : Fri 20th Dec 2013 15:14

Good point well made Tony. When the spikes wore down a bit I quite often used to drive home in them! Agree about the flaps as well. Still, have now got a lovely pair of Footjoy Icons now that only come out in good weather, classic black and white - even my daughter grudgingly admits they look quite stylish, although certain members on this forum do laugh when I start tap dancing in them...

user80078
Reply : Fri 20th Dec 2013 15:24

I well remember the rubber Dunlops Tim. They were all that you say. Agree about the spike wear being the only reason for changing them and the flap over the laces was such a good idea. Mind you, practically all golf shoes came with a flap back then. I have a pair of Nikes at the moment, but have to dose them liberally with dubbin if I want them to make it round on a wet course. Happy days!!

user579866
Reply : Mon 7th Jul 2014 20:38

My story is even more dramatic, I've been planning going to St Andrews for a while now. Finally it comes to reality, I had all the gear ready and bought a pair of Footjoys ICONS for the event. Play two rounds thursday and friday, great. Saturday morning we have tee time for the Old Course at 10.10, great expectation as you can imagine. Went to the starter first thing and off for breakfast before the round. After breakfast go to get the clubs from the car and my shoes are not there, PANIC!!! We had around 45 mins to tee off at the Old Course and my beloved ICONS are MIA!!! I run to the sports shop round the corner and bought a pair of Adidas Adicross Spike-less, the cheapest option (after investing a lot in the ICONs I didn't want any other expending in shoes). I have to say I was really impressed with the performance, it was dry and the ground was quite firm. Great first 13 holes! But then....the rain showed up. Crazy rain I've to say, and the performance of the spike-less shoes goes downhill... I was missing my Spiked shoes, i had no grip at all, and slipping away in every shot. 5 holes ruined, my score card ruined, and the frustration of the chance missed, finishing the Old Course St Andrews with one of the best rounds in my life. The reason/excuse....the bloody shoes!!!! Thank God I found the ICONs, I left them at the lockers of the course we played on Friday. I have to say even I was really disappointed, I will be using the Adicross again, they are miles comfier than any other shoes I've ever tried, but it has to be a 100% dry day.

Last edit : Mon 7th Jul 2014 20:38

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top