Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Stuck in a rut

Posted by: user511232 | Tue 10th Dec 2013 17:01 | Last Reply

I took the game up 7 years ago live breathe the game really took a hold of me would play every day if i could,problem is i got handicap down to 19 present 20 never seem to get under this now even taking up lessons will it get better or should i just give up

re: Stuck in a rut
user80078
Reply : Tue 10th Dec 2013 19:49

Almost certainly lessons will help. You may have ingrained faults that are holding you back. Don't lose your love for the game however. Remember, it is a game after all said and done. If you are playing off 20, then you already have a decent golf game. Give the lessons a go, but above all else, continue to enjoy this wonderful game. Good luck.

user25808
Reply : Tue 10th Dec 2013 20:36

Lessons will definitely help. I've had lessons on and off for the 11 years I've played golf, I do think my golf game is much better for it. Lessons aren't a quick fix though but if you persevere with them I'm sure you'll find your handicap coming down and your skill level going up.

Last edit : Tue 10th Dec 2013 20:36
user511232
Reply : Tue 10th Dec 2013 22:54

Thanks guys just wanna get better it tears at my gut always seem to have 2 or 3 horror holes to kill the card

user80078
Reply : Wed 11th Dec 2013 10:36

I know what you mean Phillip. In the summer I managed to have a very rare round without a horror hole as you put it and came in with a PB on my home course of 74 (it's par 65 off yellows). Having said this, I generally go round in the low to mid 80's or even low 90's when the horrors happen. A double or triple bogey can easily slip in if I'm not fully concentrating. What I'm trying to say is that like you I have the game, but find it very difficult to compete over 18 holes. Don't let it get to you as much as it appears to. I was told to smell the roses on the way round and enjoy being out there. Not a bad way to go eh!!

user43763
Reply : Wed 11th Dec 2013 10:57

Phillip I have recently gone through the same thing. Joined my club in February and after my initial cards my handicap was 17. During the year playing nearly every week it went up to 18 and back down to 17 but no other movement. Tired of this I had my 12th lesson last week. The differences are incredible, but I hadn't played on the course since I started my lessons until yesterday, went out for a cheeky 9, came in 4 over after a double on the first. that's a gross score too. One thing I would say is persevere, I started getting a little downhearted around the 6-7th lesson as we kept going back to things we did in the beginning but this was purely down to trying to fix everything in order and when I changed one thing we moved on to the next, aspects we worked on were backswing (I was too much inside) Transition (spent several lesson on this, weight shift and correct hip turn) then a few lessons on swing path and plane. In my last lesson I had lots of positive feedback from my pro and after Christmas I think a couple of lessons on clubface control, I hit a lot of pushes, chipping and putting.

They are worth doing provided you commit and practice the drills they give you. I cant wait till the new season starts, I may actually have some game to back up all my smack talk

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 11th Dec 2013 11:12

Same here probably from lack of playing but I'll be having a real focus in 2014 playing more and some more focused practice again.

Back in 2010 I set myself some clear targets and dropped my golf handicap from 27 to 20.9 at the end of the year. I've since basically gone up 0.1, 0.7, 0.3 the last 3 years!

user375014
Reply : Wed 11th Dec 2013 13:31

Phillip just keep going and focus on one thing per round to improve and find what your weak points are and practise those until they are no longer your weak points. I found chipping and putting was majorly letting me down at about 20 handicap and since i have found my comfort zone knowing when to be chipping and when to be bumping n running etc or lob wedge into the green etc, ive found that has made more of a difference to my handicap. Putting also has improved and makes a massive difference in my numbers now too.

user375014
Reply : Wed 11th Dec 2013 13:33

plus be patient too, youve played 7 years and play off about 19 which is good, some of us on here have played all ur lives and prob wont get down to 19.

user511232
Reply : Wed 11th Dec 2013 19:17

Thanks so much guys for your messages of insparation some great tales there and nice to know its not only me out there on my own,think my biggest weakness is the wrists caving in on inpact. Yer will keep plugging away i promise and thank you all again

user2879
Reply : Thu 12th Dec 2013 13:46

The first thing I would do prior to having lessons is to break down the game and my expectations. I played off 18 for a while and was told that if I wanted to get better, I needed to forget about par and to try to play each hole at bogey or better. This extra shot per hole eased the pressure and, oddly enough, allowed me to par more holes.

I also used Golfshake to check which holes cost me and started thinking about playing them better. Far better to hit a shorter club off the tee, second shot short and then try to get up and down. I still play this way off 6, I don't allow a bogey to upset me as I allow one every 3 holes. Keeps me centred

user566390
Reply : Sat 28th Dec 2013 09:50

Philip, Have a look where the shots go on the horror holes. That's you starting point. I have always been a decent putter and ok from 100 yards in but if I missed the green I was stumped my head would not let me decide on a shot to play so, with no clear thought I stood over the ball and fatted or thinned it 9 times out of 10. That was my starting point.

user567860
Reply : Fri 10th Jan 2014 13:46

Hi Phil,

I know exactly what you mean, sometimes it's difficult to try and weigh up whether lessons will significantly help... I recently signed up to a site where you upload a video of your golf swing and get PGA professionals to give you feedback on your own swing. Think it's free to do so until the end of Jan. It's www.golfintuitionlive.com, i've stuck a link below - may help point you in the right direction without having to dive into the wallet?

Last edit : Fri 10th Jan 2014 19:07
user530369
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 15:15

My father in law took up the game 10 years or so ago and was horrible to watch but he enjoyed it so I was happy to hack round with him. Last summer I persuaded him to have a top notch lesson at St Andrews Links Trust and he has knocked about 10 shots a round off and gone down to 24 handicap, he is still improving as well. All from one really good and focussed lesson. He will never get to single figures but he loves the game so much, even more so now that he has actually won a competition at his golf club. So yes - take lessons and try to focus on just one or two things for a season and things should get better. Yet even if they don't, keep playing - it is wonderful scenery, good exercise and there are always those shots that keep you coming back for more.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top