Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Do I deserve a new putter?

Posted by: user482978 | Tue 3rd Dec 2013 18:52 | Last Reply

I have a dilemma.

I am a high handicapper around 27 and are contemplating on buying a new putter. Very tempted by the new Ping Anser Scottsdale but the questions is do I deserve it??

I do not wish to be one of these players who have all the gear and still hack it around the course. I currently have a Wilson putter and sometimes it is a great putter for me. I have been playing serious for two full seasons now, shall I invest in a shiny new putter for next season or grind it out with my Wilson?

Any advice from more experienced players would be appreciated.

Cheers Steve

re: Do I deserve a new putter?
user80078
Reply : Tue 3rd Dec 2013 19:12

How do you actually feel about your current Wilson putter? What sort of putting stats are you getting? By all means treat yourself this Xmas if you think it will give you the lift you seek. P.S. I have used a Wilson Deep Red for the past 2 years and love it. Good luck.

user430247
Reply : Tue 3rd Dec 2013 20:31

i have a wilson ,,and love it , had it about 3yrs now ,

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 4th Dec 2013 13:20

First question is....... How are you putting with your current putter? If it's good, why change?

The next thing is to find out which type of putter suits you. Have a lesson and see what the pro says.

Try a wide variety of putters.

If you then decide that you would like a different putter go ahead. It doesn't have to be a brand new putter, it could be a used one.

Russ

user24437
Reply : Wed 4th Dec 2013 13:30

As most of the skill of putting is in the mind you need to ask whether or not you need to change. Buying a new expensive putter will not improve your putting per se, granted it may help, but increase in cost is no guarantee of increase in success. An example I always quote is my brother, a good golfer playing off single figures and putting is one of his strengths. He has only ever used one putter, one he stole from a pitch and putt in Clacton about 30 years ago - a crappy, aluminium shafted cast brass blade. He's tried others and just can't get on with them.

Personally, I used a cheap Ram Zebra for many years (albeit heavily modified) until I just lost confidence with it and bought an Odyssey. I went into the shop, tried every style and brand on offer and bought the one I felt most comfortable with (still doesn't work properly mind...)

user482978
Reply : Wed 4th Dec 2013 13:46

Many thanks, some great advice here.

Looking at my stats I have shaved about 4-5 putts off my normal average so I feel I am improving. A lot more two putts now which is pleasing.

Gonna stick with the Wilson putter for next season and hope its red hot!

Thanks again Steve

user80078
Reply : Wed 4th Dec 2013 15:04

That looks good sense to me Steven. Let us know how it works out round about this time next year. Good luck.

user451055
Reply : Thu 5th Dec 2013 10:23

If you have a bit of cash to invest why not invest in a couple of lessons. My other half is playing off 1.6 but he still has regular coaching and came back yesterday raving about how his putting is improving after a session focussed on that area. Will be cheaper than a new putter and hopefully have a bigger impact.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top