Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Queue jumping at 9 hole course

Posted by: user564782 | Thu 28th Nov 2013 10:25 | Last Reply

Can anyone clarify if the following is normal. At my local 9 hole course there was a queue of about 4 groups waiting at the first tee. As we waited our turn, another group who had just finished their first round of 9, walked straight from the 9th green and jumped to the front of the queue of the first. There was an argument from everyone waiting, but this group said it was golf etiquette on a 9 hole course that people on their second 9 were given priority over people waiting to play their first 9. None of us had ever heard this before, but the golf shop owner agreed with them and so we reluctantly let them through. Very annoying. But does anyone know if this is correct. Thank you.

re: Queue jumping at 9 hole course
user80078
Reply : Thu 28th Nov 2013 11:32

I think the etiquette is that as a group come off the 9th, they slot in in second place at any queue waiting at the first. In this way both starters and second niners get to play without significant hold up. It makes good sense to me and avoids those nasty first tee disputes.

user469358
Reply : Fri 29th Nov 2013 17:47

I would agree with the group playing their 2nd nine in that that players already on the course should be entitled to maintain their position on the course.

user249902
Reply : Fri 29th Nov 2013 22:05

Charlie, I'm a member at a nine hole course, we have the ruling that when coming of the 9th you dovetail in with those awaiting to start the first. If a group is on the tee they get priorty then the group of the 9th an awaiting group the next of the 9th and so forth

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 29th Nov 2013 22:31

For many , many years I was used to 'white' groups starting on their 1st and 'red' on their 10th. The tee then ran red, white, red, white............

BUT.

A group coming off their 9th couldn't tee off before a white group, if that group had already taken their position on the tee off before they arrived (ball teed up type of thing).

user80078
Reply : Sat 30th Nov 2013 14:04

Thanks David.That seems to be the system I am used to , but you have explained it more clearly then I could.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 30th Nov 2013 17:19

What I understand of this situation is this.

If a group is already on the tee waiting to tee off then they stay on the tee.

A group coming off the 9th green and coming to the 1st tee (their 10th tee) would then go after the group already on the tee.

The group coming off the 9th don't get priority over a group already on the tee.

It could be that the course you were playing at has a different local rule to this. Ask in the pro shop and they will explain what should happen.

Russ

Last edit : Sat 30th Nov 2013 17:20
user25808
Reply : Sun 1st Dec 2013 09:22

At my club if golfers have/wish to start on the 10th( assuming the pro shop have given them permission) they have to wait until the group on 9th have played out,they can't just tee off if anyone is on the 9th fairway.

The golfers on the 9th when finished have every right to walk up to the 10th tee and continue playing even if other players who are about to start their round on the 10th think otherwise.

user80078
Reply : Sun 1st Dec 2013 11:31

I can understand and agree your point for an 18 hole course, where starting from 10 is not necessarily the norm, but for a 9 hole course there has to be a system that lets starters and those already playing fit in without acrimony on either side.

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 1st Dec 2013 11:48

Another massive problem that comes up here too.

When groups tee off at first light one after the other and arrive back on the first tee in a steady stream, it can cause a delay of over an hour between playing your 9th and starting your 10th hole.

So some courses state that A ROUND IS ONLY NINE HOLES and if you do want to play eighteen you have to start again (problem solved?).

user469358
Reply : Fri 6th Dec 2013 15:17

Ive never like 9 hole courses, this has done nothing to alter my view.

To my way of thinking, once you start your round of golf you are behind the group in front of you and barring playing through thats where you should stay without anyone else jumping in. Tee times should be sold in the Pro shop to cater for people starting later accordingly that fit around the groups already in play.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top