Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Posted by: user466742 | Mon 11th Nov 2013 15:36 | Last Reply

After having a quick read through this

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/6456/Take_your_game_to_a_new_level_this_Winter.html

I've set myself 3 goals for the 2014 season that will hopefully help improve my golf.

1) Develop & maintain a consistent pre shot routine.

2) Practice long game and short game at the range at least once a week.

3) Improve my putting and short game through practice & patience to try and get rid of the dreaded 3 putts.

What goals are you going to be setting yourself for the coming season?

Last edit : Mon 11th Nov 2013 16:24
re: 2014
user338942
Reply : Tue 12th Nov 2013 20:06

Single figures is my goal. Since June played some great golf, just need to polish up around the greens.

user488279
Reply : Wed 13th Nov 2013 19:26

I feel consistancy is the way forward, I have slowed my swing down which has helped me a lot, I have tried to focus more before shots I feel a bit strange sometimes but talking to myself helps me to.

user488279
Reply : Wed 13th Nov 2013 19:27

Target..........to beat my mate's they off 10

user451055
Reply : Sat 16th Nov 2013 10:51

I want to get hcp from 23 to 18 next season. I am spending all this winter focussing on short game. I've got putting, chipping and pitching drills to do at least once a week and I am determined to improve this side of my game and hope that gets me down to my target.

There - I have said it 'out loud' now so I have to do it!

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 17th Nov 2013 17:19

Hit more fairways, hit more greens in regulation (which should happen if I hit the fairway off the tee!)

Get down to single figure handicap.

Going to do all this by having a regular practice routine, which will include all aspects of the game.

user21179
Reply : Sun 17th Nov 2013 20:19

Just play more.......thats all. (14 rounds in 2013 )

user375014
Reply : Sun 17th Nov 2013 22:50

stay injury free for the year firstly. Bad back being the main culprit.

Other than that

Single figures play few rounds for my stag doo Try sneak a few rounds in on honeymoon in Florida Master my new putter

user338942
Reply : Mon 18th Nov 2013 20:09

Nick - Bit creepy, hcp exactly the same to the decimal point, both getting married next year, both off to Florida for honeymoon........ dont think I'll be taking the sticks though as having a week there and a week in New York or Cancun

user451055
Reply : Tue 19th Nov 2013 13:14

Isn't Cancun where that British golfer got chomped on by a crocodile when taking a shot out of a bunker? Probably good you aren't taking your clubs.

user338942
Reply : Tue 19th Nov 2013 20:24

It is.

I was there in the summer and upon inquiring about golf, the concierge told me that story and advised against playing.

The £120 it would have been put me off as well like, but the 3 courses there all border croc habitat

user8399
Reply : Tue 31st Dec 2013 17:59

Like most reasonable golfers I expect to be somewhere around every green in regulation but my game the last 18 months has not been good enough, so it must be the short game and putting, right? I'm going to commit to a reasonable (min half hour) session of putting, chipping, pitching or short iron accuracy for every round I play. My rule is - I can't play unless I do!

I thought I would flip between 5 and 6 for another decade but it hasn't happened and I'm off 7.1 for the winter, so I'll also commit to update this when it changes. New Callaway X-hot pro set last Spring and I'm used to them now and like them a lot, so anything is possible.

user80078
Reply : Wed 1st Jan 2014 11:29

Going to get into coarse fishing in 2014, so the golf will just have to share with the fishing and tennis for my attention. Don't know if I will continue with my club membership, or become a nomad. Have a couple of nice hotel/golf breaks lined up so have got those to look forward to. Not over bothered about my handicap rising (at my age, 66, I'm just pleased to be playing as steadily as I am). Good luck to everyone in achieving your golfing aims.

user16106
Reply : Wed 1st Jan 2014 12:42

Looking out the window, I think Ill be happy to get 1 game in in 2014. Dave CA handed Geordie.

user375014
Reply : Wed 1st Jan 2014 20:31

Hi Dave Smith , jesus that is a bit weird, dont tell us the date cos if they are the same i really will start worrying. Probably just hire some clubs out there and i know it wont be the same without my clubs ( cant be assed taking them) but sooner be playing with any than none at all, looking at some golf n spa hotels but not cheap at all!

user8399
Reply : Thu 23rd Jan 2014 23:12

I haven't been doing the inter-round practising in the weather we've had - my roll-up rounds ARE the practice - but I have tried a couple of things that have helped. I'm standing more "open" to my putts so I get more of a bi-focal view of the line and the hole. I line up from the club face to the aiming point, as I would with a rifle and, once adjusted, look once for alignment, once for distance, then hit. The open stance restricts the backswing a little so the stroke is more of a solid accelerating push through the ball. Long putts have improved significantly, this helps the short ones, of course, but also gives confidence for the approach shots, as I trust the putt wherever I am. Last two rounds 74 and 77: Royal Winchester still playing very well, proper greens except for one or two occasionally when the greenkeepers are doing necessary work.

user477305
Reply : Fri 24th Jan 2014 13:27

I want to be playing off of 14 by the new year. This is broken down into playing off of 18 by April and 16 by September. I have worked out what I need to achieve to reach this:

• Consistently drive the ball, hitting at least 60% FIR per round

• Shape my drives, being able to hit a draw and a fade upon request

• Hit more greens when playing with my higher irons - 60% of greens hit when hitting 6 - 4 irons

• Improve game from 100 yards in, so I am on the green 80% of the time from this distance

• Be up and down 50% of the time whilst chipping and out of greenside bunkers

• Average 35 putts per round

As you can see these are a mix of process and outcome goals, but I think if I can tick all of these off I should be playing off of 14 by the end of the year. Any feedback would be much appreciated!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top