Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Struggling with irons should I go all hybrid?

Posted by: user554087 | Sat 9th Nov 2013 15:27 | Last Reply

I'm a 54 yr old female, in my second season of having a handicap, first started playing 4 years ago having only played seaside pitch and putt. I started with a 34 handicap and have through lots of play and practice dropped to 19 this year, (struggle at times to play to it) but I really can't use my irons, I have a 4 and 6 hybrid that I can land on the green, but anything 90 yards in I do a chip and hope for the best! I'm wondering whether to bite the bullet and go all hybrid, but wonder if this will stop me improving further and getting my handicap down next season. I can hit a straight true iron shot off a tee but as soon as I'm on the fairway I can't take a divot, maybe wary of hitting the turf and it hurting! Think it's a mental thing. Any thoughts?

re: Struggling with irons should I go all hybrid?
user553910
Reply : Sat 9th Nov 2013 20:59

Here's a practice drill that fixed that problem for me.

On the mat at the range (or at home on a thick carpet) lay a tee down on it's side where the ball would normally be, pointy end towards you. Then lay another tee about a fist-width further toward the target, lying parallel to the first.

Take a swing and sweep both tees off the mat. When you can do that 10 times in a row, getting both tees, try hitting a ball.

user99350
Reply : Sun 10th Nov 2013 19:38

It's hard to believe you've made such a reduction already without taking a divot Chris. What's to fear? Do you have weak wrists?. To get your handicap down further it is exactly the 90 yd -100yd distance from the green that you need to be on top of (as well as around the green of course) and I'm afraid this achieved only through total control of your high irons. First things first; get rid of your fear of divots. Winter time is a good time as the ground is soft so start off just hitting balls, concentrating on the strike and seeing what divots you do make. I would have thought the deeper the divot, the further back in the stance the ball is. Try pitches, half shots with different clubs until you find one particular shot you like, are consistent with and above all are comfortable and confident with and go with that. Remember that you've come a long way down already and you've identified yourself where the improvement can be made.

user554087
Reply : Mon 11th Nov 2013 19:29

Cheers for the replies, yes decided to work on using irons over winter, I've managed so far with a combination of half hybrid hits and chipping. I take a divot after the ball, just a shallow one, with my hybrids so I should be able to with my irons. Obviously a mental block! I aim to get my handicap down further so it's a must do.

user99350
Reply : Mon 11th Nov 2013 22:25

Good decision Chris. I would think the control and feel from irons v hybrids is a no brainer.

user375014
Reply : Sun 17th Nov 2013 23:00

HI Chris, ive never taken a divot for years and always thought it was because im cack handed or again the fear of hitting too hard. in the recent years ive not woried about it and it seems to be naturally happening now esp in wet conditions. Prob was for me using irons off a driving range matt was difficult at first for practise, but using the local practise green n chipping areas is better for those shots, or find a driving range with the new gel filled matts which gives a more forgiving feel and can get under the ball better. Hybrids will only mask the short fall in your game for a while n sooner or later with you getting better you will have to go back to irons

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top