Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Grips

Posted by: user466742 | Thu 7th Nov 2013 17:02 | Last Reply

So i'm going to change the grips on my clubs at some point this winter, probably over the Christmas break. I currently play Lambkin Crossline & really am attached to how they feel, however i'm a bit 'bored' of the looks. Can anyone recommend a grip they use or have used in the past? I don't want anything too loud, but at the same time i don't want plain black grips and am struggling to come up with anything other than Golf Pride grips which every Tom, Dick & Harry seem to be using.

re: Grips
user80078
Reply : Thu 7th Nov 2013 17:25

Why change Andrew? Your grips are about 'feel', the colour etc. is just window dressing. If you like the Lambkin's why not stick with them? Just my opinion by the way!

user466742
Reply : Thu 7th Nov 2013 17:31

Just fancied a change is all. Variety is the spice of life, supposedly. Out of interest, what grips do you play mate?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 7th Nov 2013 17:50

What about the Lamkin 3Gens ? various colors etc

Some useful links here on Golfshake as well:

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/4608/Golf_Grips_Overview.html

http://www.golfshake.com/news/view/5902/Lamkin_i6_3Gen_Grip_review.html

user24437
Reply : Thu 7th Nov 2013 18:21

Is that what you've got on yours Darren?

I used to use crosslines, but recently changed them to Sharpro 3Cats in white. Similar to the Golfpride DD2's but almost half the price. They're good, not sure about longevity but they seem to be lasting OK. Only one word of caution - if you fit them yourself don't get too much solvent on them and wipe it off, it may take some of the colour off.

http://www.gamolagolf.co.uk/acatalog/Sharpro_3CAT_Cord_Golf_Grips.html

user80078
Reply : Thu 7th Nov 2013 19:43

Andrew, grips are not a problem for me at present as my Mitsushiba grips have got another season in them. I shall follow this thread however as this time next year will have me thinking about a change. Cheers!

user466742
Reply : Thu 7th Nov 2013 22:57

Thanks for the suggestions chaps. I'll take a look at all. Michael I'll let you know what I go with & how they compare to the crosslines. Maybe give you some food for thought!

user99350
Reply : Fri 8th Nov 2013 08:25

Andrew if you're going to change for looks have you condidered the other aspects like different thickness? you may as well get a complete overall. I really need to regrip my 3 wood as there are indentation thumb marks almost down to the shaft so I'm a bit scared now that when I do change I'll be all over the place with not having the template where my thums should be. I've got golf pride on my irons which do very nicely and they've been on for a year or so.

user466742
Reply : Fri 8th Nov 2013 09:06

I know which thickness i play and prefer which is pretty handy. Thanks though, it's well worth considering for someone who isn't sure or hasn't re-gripped their clubs before. I haven't actually re-gripped them myself before but i have tried quite a few grip thicknesses when i was being fitted for my clubs. Surely as an 11 you know where your thumbs go .

user99350
Reply : Fri 8th Nov 2013 13:19

Andrew, if you haven't gripped them yourself before it's probably best to get your local proshop to do it. Re knowing where my thumbs should go? Well you'd think I should know.

user466742
Reply : Fri 8th Nov 2013 15:27

If i don't start learning now i never will.... I'd rather trial and error it myself than pay someone to do it for me. It's a skill which once i learn, i'll be able to provide my golfing pals for free and also will be able to do for the rest of my golfing life, i'm all about learning new skills. Its not overly complex to do from what i understand. RE your grip....always remember V...hopefully that may help!

user99350
Reply : Sat 9th Nov 2013 00:36

Andrew, I've got the V. Having it point in the right direction is another matter. Good luck with the grips.

user24437
Reply : Sat 9th Nov 2013 09:15

I was a bit concerned about re-gripping myself but it really is very, very easy. Started off by just doing my putter and went from there and have now done quite a few sets. All you really need is a craft knife, a rubber shaft grip, some solvent and some grip tape. I also find that 'sticky stuff remover' is good for cleaning the residue off is excellent - available from Lakeland amongst others.

A good start is to go to Gamola golf and have a look at their video to see what I mean. There is also a helpful guide on sizing as well. Personally I use two wraps of tape on standard grips but may trip a mid-size next time out.

user99350
Reply : Sun 10th Nov 2013 19:52

Yes Tim, I was surprised at what difference just one wrap made.

user127691
Reply : Wed 27th Nov 2013 11:48

Crosslines are .580 I think so will feel thicker than most standrard .600. So i would first establish which grips are of equivilant thickness and then pick ones that suit fom there.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top