Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Thought I'd seen it all.

Posted by: user550058 | Sun 3rd Nov 2013 17:13 | Last Reply

Thought I’d seen it all... Not for the first time have we had a 5 ball on the course. ( they are not allowed on our course ) Even had an eight ball once. Only on the last hole mind you they thought it would be alright as they were enjoying themselves..... However last weekend was a hoozy…The course if full, tee to green and here’s the five ball strolling along as if they owned the place.. They was a two and a three following them. "Well standing waiting most of the time". Bad enough you think. Oh no the five was part of a group who were in fact a party who had paid for 16 but though it was a Tesco Course.. buy 16 get one free. Three four balls and the Five bringing up the rear... They didn't even have the sense to put the 5 in the middle of their group. Oh how I wish I could find a new course that was as good as this.

Enjoy your golf

re: Thought I'd seen it all.
user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 3rd Nov 2013 19:17

I take it your golf course doesn't have any course marshalls?

If the course is busy then nobody should be playing in a five ball.

When it's not busy you could maybe understand it!

Russ

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 3rd Nov 2013 20:32

I agree that a 5 ball should never be on the course (though I too have seen it more than once). However, whenever I organise an event and the numbers demand uneven groups I always put the smaller groups out first and larger groups last. This keeps the overall pace of play up and generally encourages the larger groups to try to keep up. If I know there are slower players in the comp then I will try to put them in a smaller group where possible

Using the event you have mentioned above Gilbert, I would put the responsibility firmly on the organiser(s) and let them know their behaviour was not welcome at the course again

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 4th Nov 2013 11:28

Careful boys. At this time of year Foursomes are more common and so EIGHT players, FOUR balls.

I have been in 5, 6 or even 7 balls on a busy course for the last few holes. These can be quicker than a 3 ball when all players are Cat1 (that's 4hcp being the highest).

user23669
Reply : Mon 4th Nov 2013 18:02

I played in a 5 ball in Spain a few years back. I was booked to be in the 4 ball the group before but they were allowed to tee off 5 minutes earlywithout me. As I was not part of their group they just left me behind.

I have had trouble at various courses and being slowed to a crawl following 3 or 4 balls & not being let through. Occasionally I have been allowed through but if not I am just listening to the radio on my phone to help pass the time.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top