Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

3 off the tee - hit two in a row or go to the back of the group?

Posted by: user43763 | Thu 17th Oct 2013 16:03 | Last Reply

A friend and I always have this argument when we're on the tee, he is a notoriously bad driver and when we play in a three or four ball and he wants to hit a 'provisional/third' he just pulls out another ball and keeps swinging,

My question is this - is he supposed to hit his first then go again for a third or should he go to the back of the group and allow everyone else to hit their first before he returns to the tee for the provisional/third

my understanding was that once he hits a ball his honour has passed and it becomes the next players honour.

Tried looking it up but cant find anything - pleeeeasssee help!!!

re: 3 off the tee - hit two in a row or go to the back of the group?
user24437
Reply : Thu 17th Oct 2013 16:07

Not sure if it's a rule, but I've always taken the view that you only play your second after the others have gone, it's just good manners - not only that I find it's better to have a bit of 'calm down' time after I've just stuck one OOB.

user80078
Reply : Thu 17th Oct 2013 16:11

Would have to agree with Tim on this one. Surely it is good manners to wait until everyone else has teed off before playing a provisional. Also the the calm down period makes a lot of sense.

user11501
Reply : Thu 17th Oct 2013 16:15

I agree, the etiquette dictates that all other players tee off before you hit another ball in case of O.O.B or a provisional ball if you think you may have lost your first tee shot

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 17th Oct 2013 17:43

Think this answers the question. Rules of golf dictate he steps aside and allows the other to tee off first

Rule 10-3 Provisional Ball or Another Ball from Teeing Ground

If a player plays a provisional ball or another ball from the teeing ground, he must do so after his opponent or fellow-competitor has made his first stroke. If more than one player elects to play a provisional ball or is required to play another ball from the teeing ground, the original order of play must be retained. If a player plays a provisional ball or another ball out of turn, Rule 10-1c or 10-2c applies.

user24437
Reply : Thu 17th Oct 2013 17:58

Knew that off by heart. eh Chris?

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Thu 17th Oct 2013 18:44

Typed it out Tim. No copy and paste, honest

But I agree I also prefer the 'calm down' moment that you have mentioned

user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 18th Oct 2013 01:16

If Rule 10 is taken as a whole then there is no penalty, nor does the player HAVE to play in turn. So you can take a view that if a guy wants to get a "ball in play" before the next player hits, it is possible.

I have seen it many times where a players hits a provisional before the next players turn.

user99350
Reply : Fri 18th Oct 2013 08:14

Another grey area where the rulemen will shaft you?

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top