Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

shaft differences?

Posted by: user309476 | Tue 15th Oct 2013 14:43 | Last Reply

Hi all,

I thought i'd stick a little post on here before i get myself into more of a pickle. I've recently bought a used taylormade RBZ 3 wood from a local golf shop. I stupidly didn't try the club before i bought it and now think the shaft is too stiff for me!

I have an R11s 5 wood with an Aldida phenom RIP 70g S shaft and can hit this pretty well and believe my swing speed with a wood is just under 90mph. The 3 wood i bought has an Aldida NV 85-S shaft.

I've looked at the shaft info on the website but the numbers mean nothing to me!

Would i be better getting a regular nv shaft fitted or try and match it to the shaft in my 5 wood ?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Wardie

re: shaft differences?
user43763
Reply : Wed 16th Oct 2013 13:26

http://www.aldila.com/custom-fitting/fitting-guide/

Take a look at that, you getting a higher launch and more spin from the phenom, this means your getting the ball in the air and its getting higher quicker, would this work in the 3 wood? - well, in theory, yes. but what don't you like about the other shaft? the feel or the performance. I think ill be right in saying that anything with too high a launch will feel 'whippy' to you, but again, is about dynamic loft, feel, what numbers you are applying, its really hard to say. im sure there will be others that can help more, this is just my interpretation and doesn't mean its right lol - good luck and hopefully lesson learned about getting fitted, even if you go to an American golf try them out then go get your suiter on the internet or what have you

Last edit : Wed 16th Oct 2013 19:54
re: shaft differences?
user309476
Reply : Wed 16th Oct 2013 18:19

Thanks for the reply Alun. I've just looked at your link and it's very helpful, it looks like i should get the A model which would be more suited to my swing speed.

I've never had my swing looked at using a launch monitor or the like, i've always bought stock but mainly cheap woods in the past and it's only been the last 12 months where i've been in a position to get myself more "quality spec" clubs.

I won't be buying anything else without trying so lesson well learned, it's now a case of weighing up the options of selling this one and buying new (cheaper but more hassle) or getting a new shaft fitted!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top