Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

What's your worst story of visitors

Posted by: user550058 | Sun 13th Oct 2013 11:23 | Last Reply

I will not deny that my golf etiquette and general demeanour belong in a by gone age. It has often been said that I need to get into the 21st Century. Non the less it has saddened me many times to write on forums about the behaviour of participants of this fine sport particularly as a visiting party.

I have it’s true to say a rather jaundiced view of the human race as a starting point but when men? from other golf clubs litter your course with enough empty alcohol bottles to sink the proverbial battleship you just know it’s not going to be a good day. This particular party was I am told from West Lothian a part of my ( Scotland ) ( for those of you whose grasp of Scottish geography is as bad as mine is of England’s )

Suffice to say that the behaviour and noise levels in the club house were such that at least one of the group was actually put out. Yes ejected, grabbing a further two bottles of alcohol as he went. Not sure if he was the one who was also sick in the car park. Now I have only been a member of only 4 golf clubs and three of those were Artisan in membership. However never in my life have I come across such a grossly crass group of golfers and as I said I’ve seen a few honeys in my time. Like many clubs today we encourage visitors to bolster our income and occasionally have to put up with groups who in my opinion we could well do without…Like the 8 ball. Or the 5 ball that after being asked to make a 2 and a 3 struck a ball towards the member.

Yes etiquette has in many parts gone. Manners too have slipped and conduct and dress generally just gets lower and lower. The one good thing in ending this story is that we have written to the offenders club asking them not to return.

Yipeee.

Enjoy you rgolf

Last edit : Sun 13th Oct 2013 11:30
re: What's your worst story of visitors
user202037 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 13th Oct 2013 16:50

Block Bookings which most 'visiting parties' are can be a minefield.

Most Clubs take them on face value, and an enquiry of "do they all hold an official Hcp?" is usually met with a "yes", even though it may not be true.

On the other side, telling a Golf Club like Ganton that you wish to hold a 'Public Event' on their course will be met with negative views.

Most Clubs welcome visitors (doesn't matter how many) as long as they respect the course, clubhouse and members.

re: What's your worst story of visitors
user451055
Reply : Thu 17th Oct 2013 17:26

Most visitors do seem to behave pretty well at our club but the only thing that gets me is when they turn up in clothes which aren't permitted and then moan about it when they get told to change.

Yes you could call it old fashioned, stick-in-the-mud, boring or whatever but the dress code is on the website and if you really hate it that much then choose to visit a different club with a more relaxed policy.

I've just been on a golf holiday with 14 other members of our club and the stories I heard after a few drinks about what our members got up to - well - I think some of them are lucky to be still members. No details though, what gets gossiped about on tour stays on tour!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top