Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

keeping your handicap

Posted by: user417395 | Fri 13th Sep 2013 11:23 | Last Reply

can anyone give me any suggestions how i can keep my congu handicap as i am not working at present and cannot afford to keep my golf membership going for the foreseeable future and am wondering how i can keep my handicap until next year when hopefully things will improve

re: keeping your handicap
user25808
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 12:51

Have you spoken to your current club? If you tell them your situation they may keep your membership going during the winter months or until your back on your feet.

Will you be playing golf still, is a CONGU handicap really necessary to keep if your not a member of a golf club and not playing qualifying competitions?

Last edit : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:01
user99350
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:03

I thought you had to put in three cards a year to keep a congu handicap

user25808
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:08

you only have to put 3 cards in to keep it active

user417395
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:09

i like being able to play in open comps when i am away usually at a fraction of the cost of a normal round and you get to meet different people from different parts of the country

user417395
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:14

for how long is it active

user25808
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:20

You would definitely have to be a member of an affiliated club to keep your CONGU handicap going, then you would have to play in 3 qualifying events( or put in supplementary scores ) in a year to keep it active if you wanted to play in open events. Supplementary scores have to be at your home course.

Your handicap is active during a calender year, must put in 3 scores, play in 3 qualifiers in the previous year.

Last edit : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:27
user43166
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:23

Paul - have a look for a local course that offers a flexible type membership. This will drastically reduce your financial commitment and allow you to put at least your minimum 3 cards in to keep your handicap active. If you move clubs you can transfer your handicap as it is to your new club - they just need your EGU number (think it is called a CDH number?)

user16106
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:36

Paul, I think your handicap is still active until April next year when the new season starts. At present I cannot justify Apprx £1000 for full mebership so I became an associate member with CONGU handicap at my club. It is under £100 a year and gets me in all the comps but I have to pay green fees when I play. Dave CAC handed Geordie.

user25808
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:46

Dave it's over a calender year, January 1st 2014 all golfers with active handicaps who haven't played in 3 qualifing events in 2013 or put in supplementary scores during 2013 will have an inactive handicap.

Paul may well have played in enough comps to have an active handicap for 2014 but he would still need to be a member of CONGU affiliated golf club

user25808
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 13:52

If you don't play many qualifying competitions you need to keep track of how many you have played in a calender year as a member of my club found out to his cost.

Playing in a winter doubles comp with an active handicap, doing very well by all accounts, come Jan 1st his handicap went inactive, played the next round and won but D/Q for having an inactive handicap

user417395
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 15:29

thanks this is what i was looking for between now and the next season i am looking at a local club that has season yearly membership and separate club membership

user43166
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 16:25

Dave - is your deal at Tilgate? With it looking like there will be no bonus from my company this year I'm looking out for a low cost deal. This sounds attractive...

user16106
Reply : Fri 13th Sep 2013 20:56

Paul, Yes its at Tilgate its £80 PA plus £5 hole in one insurance. Although ive only played about 6 times this year it still keeps my CONGU active. Ive had to spread myself a bit thin this year as I have club events, I am also in a local soc. I am also in a bigger soc that I have to travel a bit further afield. I have entered in 2 matchplay events with a big event at the end for the finalists. ( princes & dubai ). I also have the small matter of social golf with my mates. The missus also likes the odd holiday here and there so its a bit tight to fit them all in. Are you not at reigate hill any more? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top