Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

putting practice routines

Posted by: user16163 | Sat 7th Sep 2013 22:03 | Last Reply

after recent visits to various clubs for opens and members comps i have witnessed some strange and varied putting practice routines

some have just ventured to the putting green and hit 2-3 putts then walked off, others hit a few putts, watch a couple drop in and proclaim "thats enough, dont want to use all my good putts up" then walk off some seem to have a meaningfull routine, while some just seem to be there wandering around whilst hitting a few putts

What routine or technique do YOU use when you practice?

re: putting practice routines
user16163
Reply : Sat 7th Sep 2013 22:09

i will make a start

during my practice routine i have now started to putt with the toe end of my putter (blade putter - rotated 90 degrees), seems a bit strange but my thinking is, as the toe end is flat and not wide if my putting stroke is ok the ball should travel straight and if i am pulling/pushing my putts the ball will vere off each direction (obvious i hear you say - the same as hitting it normal) my opinion is its not the same, try it and see ;-)

i dont worry about distance as all i am trying to achieve is hitting the ball on the correct arc, you can see if this is happening by the markings on the ball going over end over end (yes i know you can get this with conventional technique) but like my post title this is one of my routines

user375014
Reply : Mon 9th Sep 2013 11:59

I just practise 3 length putts , one about a foot away then 2 foot then 3 foot or more, all in a line starting with the shortest one, putt it in the hole and move onto the middle one, complete that then the furthest away, you have to putt all three in a row or start over again! This gets me confident for those awkward 3 footers that i should be sinking but alot of the time seem to miss. I also hit then a few longer putts trying to get an idea of how fast or slow the greens are and trying to judge the length more than anything.

I do this before most rounds although recently been playing alot of twighlight rounds meaning been in a rush to get started and missed this routine out!

user127691
Reply : Tue 10th Sep 2013 15:52

I have always been a horrific putter and recently had a lesson which help shave sshots off my club handicap. I was shown a few aids to help with my putting.

When I practice my putting i use something like the link below that the pro lends me

http://www.golf-direct.co.uk/eye-line-putting-alignment-mirror-i7239.html

I use that to make sure my eyes are positioned correctly. I then also use one of these (again borrowed from the pro)

http://www.direct-golf.co.uk/golf_accessories/yes!/putting_aids_trueplane_putting_trainer/p11079.aspx

this helps me get my stroke on plane.

Obvioulsy I dont use these before every round, when I'm on the practice green I dont worry to much about holing any putts . I use a thick line on my ball line it up and putt, as long as the line is going end over end then I know i'm putting a good stroke on the ball, if the line wobbles or turns i've put side spin on the ball and my stroke was wrong. I just work on stroking it correctly and getting some idea of pace.

If i'm stroking it correctly then all I have to worry about on the course is picking the line and pace.

user217280
Reply : Tue 10th Sep 2013 15:55

Practice putting I tend to do different than hitting a few putts before a round when practicing I am working on alignment and technique, but when on the green before a round I am trying to guage the speed of the greens, so I tend to hit a few putts at no target just to see how far the ball rolls, with a couple of different stroke lengths, then when I feel I know the speed I will try a few distance putts to try and get the ball to the hole, I am not worried about it going in, I just try to get it to the hole or passed the hole, I am looking to be able to tap the next putt in, I will finish with a couple of putts around 4 -6 feet to make sure I am hitting the ball on my intended line. I have been putting much better this year and I feel it is because I now get the ball to the hole more often, leaving tap ins for my next putt and I therefore have fewer three putts, and because my pace putting is better I have found myself holeing more longer putts, simply because the pace is getting the putts passed the hole, putts never go in when they are left short.

user477305
Reply : Wed 11th Sep 2013 11:56

Before a round my routine isn't exactly strict but it is regular. To begin with I will line up 3 balls in a line to the hole, with the furthest being roughly the length of my putter away. I will then putt all three (obviously starting with the closest), the idea is that you hit each putt with the same pace and on the same line, you are just confidently getting the ball in the hole from a couple of feet. Once I have done this for about 5 minutes I will go to a much longer distance, maybe 20 feet but depends on the size of the green. I will then use three balls as well and I am realistically looking at getting the ball close. This is an opportunity for me to work on my pace.

I once read somewhere that before a round you should only ever complete two types of putts: One's that you are certain to get in (the start of my routine) and ones that you are not disappointed if you miss (the second part of mine). It said that the worst thing you could do was hit putts that you want to get in but have a chance of missing and knocking your confidence (5-10 feet).

Do you guys agree with that?

user338942
Reply : Wed 11th Sep 2013 20:38

I go for a very similar routine to Russell - have some mid-long range putts to get the pace then in to 6 feet, putting from every angle to make sure my putting stroke is straight and true.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 15th Sep 2013 13:15

Take three balls onto the putting green.

Find a hole that is on a level part of the green.

Take one big stride (roughly three feet), drop the balls there. Take three putts (not worried if they go in, but it's always nice to see them drop).

Collect the balls then take four big (roughly twelve feet), drop the balls there. Take three putts (hopefully one will go in, but I'm looking more at the distance than getting them in).

After that it's mixture of lengths and breaks, until I'm happy.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top