Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Are we being suckered?

Posted by: user550058 | Fri 6th Sep 2013 11:48 | Last Reply

So what do you think…The asinine names some manufacturers give their equipment…Burner, Rocket Blades, Machspeed, Diablo, X Hot…. We even have a Skull and Crossbones on the club shaft… Not to mention the head colours.! .. Is it the kings new clothes?.. The go faster stripes of the golf world?… Manufacturers simply feeding the gullible mind?.. Oh dear, I know I’m of an earlier generation and very much the traditionalist, but come on.. Yes, it must help sales. For of one thing we can be sure. Manufacturers spend a lot of money on R&D and not all on their clubs play ability. Do you buy the Name or the playability…""Honest"" answers on a postcard please...to…Old Gilbey..

Enjoy your golf.

re: Are we being suckered?
user80078
Reply : Fri 6th Sep 2013 13:32

I think that where one major manufacturer leads, the others almost without exception feel obliged to follow. I don't know where the outrageous names, colours etc began life, but one wonders where it will all end. I also am a traditionalist, but that probably comes from my upbringing, when in the 60's and 70's sports equipment was made in black or white and carried minimal logos. My tennis rackets are good quality, but not astronomically expensive, as is my golf equipment. I tend to go with how something feels in my hands rather than how dashing it looks or the name sounds. Having said that, I do look to established manufacturers (Wilson - tennis) in the first instance and the price has to fit, when golf is not the only activity my retirement lets me enjoy.

re: Are we being suckered?
user43763
Reply : Fri 6th Sep 2013 13:38

i think what the maufacturers pry on is what we associate those names with. would you buy a putter called the Ping-Pong? a driver called 'turbulence' a wedge called 'the thin lizard'. part of it is about insiping confidence on the course. IMO ive never taken TM seriously, EVER! im sure they do good kit, but their advertising slogans and bold claims just make a mockery of R&D imo. ive always gone for ping and am now becoming a big Titleist fan and im not a snooty player, I get most of my stuff off ebay, but I just think rocket-BALLS is just that. I think the other half is to do with memorable names, we all have read something about a club then weeks later we see it on sale, remember that review or article we read many weeks ago and think yea why not, then talk to our mates who vaguely remember seeing something about it. It all helps increase the companies fan base. In answer to your question though, always playability for me, there isn't a lot I can gather from my 910D2 unless im hitting it 660 yards short of what it claims ;P

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top