Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Season goals - how have you done?

Posted by: user338942 | Thu 5th Sep 2013 20:29 | Last Reply

We only have about a month left of what is the regular golf season, so just having a shout to see how people have done with their targets for the year.

After a fairly poor year last year, my aim was to get back to playing to my handicap, get in the money in the club comps and have a go at a few matchplays ran online.

I've taken my CONGU handicap from 13.8 at its peak down to 12.4. Had a 1st and a 3rd in club comps, which gets me in the money and into the medal & stableford final. Matchplays have been fairly poor - 2nd round of the club matchplay, but in the Nike and Northern was knocked out 1st round. Did have match at the impressive Rockliffe Hall though - well worth the £20 entry fee. In terms of scores, I've twice equaled my best of 79 however one had the bonus of being off the white on a Sunday morning when I picked up my 1st place.

All in all a very good year so far. Got 4 competition weekends left which I intend to make the most of before going into semi-hibernation for the winter.

re: Season goals - how have you done?
user249902
Reply : Fri 6th Sep 2013 14:51

not won a thing but managed to get my hc down from 22.5 to 18.3, so more than happy.

user375014
Reply : Mon 9th Sep 2013 11:35

Having proposed to my girlfriend this summer my main goal this year remaining is to carry on playing golf as much as i can possibly get away with, with now having to save any money for the wedding, been getting some great deals to justify it to her!! Another goal i acheived was to improve on a few shots ive always struggled with , lob wedge shots and bunker shots, spent two weeks practising bunker shots at the range then proceeded to not land in a bunker for about three rounds (typical) but then when i didn find myself in the sand , managed to get up n down alot easier than i had the previous times.

Lastly my goal from 3 years ago was to continue playing through Winter which ive done now for 2-3 years and shall be trying to do the same this year so to not go backwards by the time spring arrives next year.

user338942
Reply : Mon 9th Sep 2013 20:14

Gilbert - This is where I post all my social round which gives me what I class as my social handicap. My CONGU is just that which is generated at my club off the whites on a Sunday morning. I'm sure many shakers here do the same if they are attached to a club.

user549719
Reply : Tue 10th Sep 2013 09:55

Having taken up golf in the summer of 2011 but only seriously devoting time and effort to the game at the beginning of this year (including regular lessons), my goals for the end of summer 2013 were:

1) to obtain a handicap of (or be able to play to) 18 2) to regularly go round without 3-putting 3) to always take less than 36 putts

As you can see from my handicap, I'm not quite there yet with goal 1) but my putting is coming on quite well. I do 3 putt sometimes but am averaging 33.3 putts for the last 9 rounds I've played. 30 putts yesterday including a 2-putt from less than 3 feet!! Almost broke 30 putts.

Hoping to continue through the winter to get the handicap down.

user525485
Reply : Tue 10th Sep 2013 22:44

Only started playing serious golf during the last 9 months when my twin daughters joined the local club and got me hooked! I joined also about 2 months ago.

I'm 54 now and wish I'd started 40 years ago!

I played a round during Xmas week and shot 119. I played yesterday on the same course and shot 83 with a 5 on the par 3 18th, I was gutted and also ecstatic! I regularly have shot mid eighties over the last 6 weeks.

So although I did not really set myself any goals other than to improve, I feel I've certainly done that.

My next goal is to hit under 80

Last edit : Tue 10th Sep 2013 22:45
user525485
Reply : Wed 11th Sep 2013 13:13

Hi Gilbert, I am a member of the Mid Yorkshire club near Pontefract Par 71 off yellow tees, great course!

Only just got my Congu HC after submitting 3 cards a month ago, playing off 18.

user80078
Reply : Wed 11th Sep 2013 14:30

Congratulations Neal. I'm sure a sub 80 round is just around the corner. What is the old adage 'It's never too late.' I look forward to your report when you achieve it.

user525485
Reply : Wed 11th Sep 2013 21:20

Thanks Michael Entered my first comp today, shot 86 and came 2nd......happy days!

user23669
Reply : Sat 12th Oct 2013 19:41

I was hoping to improve my game including taking a shot off my CONGU handicap.

I joined a really go group in the Wessex Amateur Golf tour.

I was hoping to join a better golf club than the one I was with at the start of the year, Which I have done in joining Broadstone.

In doing the above I have cut nearly 4 shots from my CONGU handicap and have won 2 events on the Wessex Amateur tour and also claimed a 3rd place. This enabled me to claim a joint share in the order of merit on the tour with 2 other members.

If you had told me at the start of the season I would play so well I would of struggled to believe it as I have played around the 16 handicap level for 10 years

Since writing the above I won last Saturday's stableford comp with 41 points and have now been cut by a further 1.7 shots to 12.1. All the above was done without any lessons to my game this year. Looking forward to 2014

Last edit : Thu 24th Oct 2013 12:03
user553910
Reply : Mon 14th Oct 2013 12:20

I started playing golf in May. Initially the idea was to get good enough to go round a course. I signed up to a golf day organised by my football club in August as a sort of 'marker' to work towards.

Then I got invited to a golf weekend in late August by a friend who accidentally included me in the email to the other people going saying he'd found somebody to join them (me) who wasn't very good but was the best he could do. I was so incensed that I went to the range every day for 6 weeks to have a crack at beating him. Which I did.

Last week I broke 100 for the first time (92 round Trent Park) and my handicap moved off 28 and that concludes this season's goals.

user525485
Reply : Mon 14th Oct 2013 13:29

Well done Steve!

Nothing like receiving that e-mail accidentally to get you fired up!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 14th Oct 2013 14:21

Steve, awesome positive attitude! well done on the 92 I'm guessing you have the golfing bug now.

user553910
Reply : Mon 14th Oct 2013 14:29

Hah, well we've been friends for 30 years and he was my best man so it'll take more than that email to break the friendship. Beating him was reward enough. And you can bet I mention it every time I see him.

Yes on the golfing bug. I thought I'd try it to get me out of the house during the football off-season. So much for that: I've just ordered some winter golf boots so I can keep playing.

user2879
Reply : Mon 14th Oct 2013 16:45

My aim for the year was to be the best in my group of friends. I started the year on 8.5 and played well in the summer to get to 5.2 but have slipped to 5.6. My friend is off 4.9 but he's more than a shot better than me. I have worked hard on my short game and also my decision making. I have made less doubles and trebles when I miss the fairway than last year and accept my punishment.

Will play through the winter in pairs competitions with him to keep myself sharp and then have another crack at being the best. Short game practice will be stepped up, working on a variety of shots from 100 yards in. The best players at the golf club have fantastic short games which enables them to get up and down more than I do (at the moment)

user410273
Reply : Tue 15th Oct 2013 23:09

2012 was a very poor year for me, my handicap rising to 6.3... Spring saw the bag changed, all bar the putter. I signed up for loads more golf in 2013, and played away far more than I have done for years. And I set myself the goal of getting back to Cat 1.

A great year. Plenty of wins and places. Some stunningly good rounds, inc a level par round, in damp and breezy conditions, that included 7 birdies.

Two weeks ago, cue a dream round on another breezy day out on the links. A 2 under par gross that included 2 bogies and 4 birdies... and a handicap cut to... drum roll... 4.4

user432170
Reply : Thu 17th Oct 2013 11:41

Finally got myself a Golf membership. Looking forward to improving.

user555563
Reply : Tue 29th Oct 2013 08:48

May be its just me being silly but could someone help me please? How do U join the amateur golf competition? I am improving on my game and going to start playing alot more and taking it seriously as want to make a living from it? Any help or advice would be very appreciated thanks in advance

user338942
Reply : Tue 5th Nov 2013 01:58

How old are you Lewis?

If you want to make serious money you have to be a pro or an elite amatuer.

Club comps do pay out for top 3s, but your looking at splits of maybe £70/£40/£20 for you top 3

user555563
Reply : Wed 6th Nov 2013 21:09

Hi Dave Smith I am 25 been playing since I was about 6 then gave up due to relocating and work after that. I am now settled so decided to grab the bulls by the horns and give my clubs another swing and picked it back up better then I thought I would of. I been improving over the last few months of taking it up again and still seeing vast improvements. Any help or advice would be great.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top