Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Beginner (noob!) Club Query

Posted by: user551147 | Mon 26th Aug 2013 10:01 | Last Reply

Hello all,

Hoping for some good advice around buying my first set of clubs, I've only played 1 round and done maybe 500 balls at the range but loving the game so far! Been using my Dads clubs so far but looking to get my own set.

Unfortunately still not looking to invest 100% in the game yet so only looking to spend around £100 (£150 MAX!) and I need to get a full set of clubs and a bag.

I have read quite often to avoid Dunlop clubs or the cheap sets but without any reasoning behind it, I am struggling to find a full set of clubs for the price I'm looking at. Has anyone had any experience with Dunlop or Prosimmon that can give me a real reason not to go down this route? (both do sets around £100, Prosimmon do a full graphite set for £130)

http://www.thesportshq.com/prosimmon-drk-all-graphite-golf-clubs-package-set.aspx

If these are a bad route for a beginner can anyone advise another affordable route? Any specific sets I should look out for or avoid in the used market?

Sorry for babbling so much, any help would be much appreciated!

Regards Dave

re: Beginner (noob!) Club Query
user546755
Reply : Mon 26th Aug 2013 10:10

While I'm certainly not qualified to give specific advice about clubs ( also being a beginner) there can be some real bargains on eBay which I'm sure would suffice until you get proficient enough when the type of clubs makes a significant difference

user432170
Reply : Mon 26th Aug 2013 21:02

Hi, I have a set of Dunlop Clubs.

My view is that I have no reason to change just yet. I don't believe I am good enough to actually notice any difference and my handicap has just started to move in the right direction. They were bought brand new as were affordable for me 18mths ago. Grips are starting to wear but no unusual damage to them. I have never tried any other brand so i cannot compare. My feeling is that once my handicap comes down and I get more of a feel for the game then it would be time to change, in my case, budget dependent. I reckon go and have mooch around the stores to get a feel for different brands, but I am no professional to give advice.

user127691
Reply : Tue 27th Aug 2013 09:47

Todays golfer seem to be adding the latest dunlop kit into there equipment tests. It is cheap kit and can if you buy the really cheap stuff can break, but have a look at the latest reviews as I believe they have much improved the quality.

Have a look on abay at makes like MD and Benross, they are smaller companies producing decent kit but it has a pretty low reasle value on ebay.

user127691
Reply : Tue 27th Aug 2013 09:48

Also bear in minf you will probaly find the biggest deficiancy in the cheaper kit are the woods and rescues etc. So keep an eye on these.

user473042
Reply : Tue 27th Aug 2013 15:07

this web site also as some good deals too www.thesportshq.com

user249902
Reply : Tue 27th Aug 2013 17:38

benross do a decent set of clubs and at the lower end of the budget, worth checking out IMO

user16106
Reply : Tue 27th Aug 2013 22:20

My advise is not to run out and buy the shiney new Dunlops but to buy an experienced set of clubs that wont lose much value. The Dunlops may be ok, but worth only £20-30 once youve hit a ball. Theres a lot of good clubs for your budget out there. I really rate wilson, and a £100 will get a decent set of Fatshafts. Around £120 you can pick up an older set of Callaway x14s or X16s, also nice clubs. Both these brands have a good resale value so if you dont like em then sell em on, you wont lose a lot of dosh. Thats my advice. The Dunlops may be a good buy if you keep them for a couple of years. Good golfing Dave CAC handed Geordie.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top