Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Lithium Batteries

Posted by: user550058 | Wed 21st Aug 2013 11:03 | Last Reply

I am considering buying a Lithium battery for my golf trolley. However I am getting conflicting views on charging, can you advise.

Question 1..I'm told the battery should be disconnected from the charger as soon as possible after charging. I would like to charge my battery using a time switch in that the charging process (power supply) will be automatically cut off after a given period but would still leave the battery connected to the charger albeit in a power off position. Is this acceptable practice?

Question 2. I have actually been told that you "can" leave the battery on permanent charge until later use as in the case with standard lead acid batteries. Is this true?

Thank you so much for your help.

re: Lithium Batteries
user466742
Reply : Wed 21st Aug 2013 12:12

As far as i can remember from my experience with Li batteries you need to take them off charge as soon as they are finished. Otherwise they convert the extra energy into excess heat and this can become pretty dangerous depending on how exposed the 'cells' are (think burnt fingers etc). Although i'm speaking from using them a good 10 years ago and technology may have moved on significantly since then. Worth doing a quick Google search for more info and failing that, follow the manufacturers instructions to a t.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top