Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Repair your Pitchmarks

Posted by: user354092 | Wed 14th Aug 2013 10:32 | Last Reply

Today - August 14th is National repair your pitchmark day! Created in order to raise awareness of the amount of un-repaired pitchmarks you find and the time it takes greens to recover from them.

Seems like a good idea to us! You can follow and tweet using #NationalRepairYourPitchmarkDay

re: Repair your Pitchmarks
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 16th Aug 2013 15:14
user398345
Reply : Sun 18th Aug 2013 19:59

As a player that virtually never takes a divot, I have a comment and a question!

1. It would be really nice if more people were to make more effort to repair the damage that they have caused to the course, which at times is excessive and really spoils the on course experience for others!

2. I find myself wondering whether not taking a divot is good or bad? - As I don't generally, I suppose I am more at risk of topping it, which I certainly do occasionally. - On the odd occasions my club does hit the ground before the ball, it inevitably ends up with a weak, misdirected shot, so definitely not good for me in terms of the outcome!

I would be very interested to hear what people think about this?

user40826
Reply : Mon 19th Aug 2013 00:32

Bob,

1. People tend to repair pitch marks at my course, the members are really proud of the greens and look after them very, very well. You can tell when a society has visited the course, especially if you're following them. No all societies are like that, I must add, we've had some fantastic guests at the club.

2. If you're taking a divot before the ball, you've not hit the ball correctly. This is why you get a weak shot, 'a fat shot.' A correctly struck shot strikes the ball first, then takes a divot.

user30263
Reply : Tue 20th Aug 2013 10:24

A great initiative with #nationalrepairyourpitchmarkday a common theme seems to be societies playing as guests at clubs which results in unrepaired pitch marks. Is this an area to focus on?

user16163
Reply : Tue 20th Aug 2013 10:57

Darren

It is a common misconception and an easy option to blame societies for unrepaired pitchmarks, i run a small society myself and on numorous occasions due to club rules regarding visitor parties we have played behind groups of members and on every occasion the greens have had unrepaired pitchmarks on them left by said members.

now whilst we endeavouor to repair on the basis of "our own +1" i understand that there probably are societies out there the do not repair them at all.

with the introduction of #nationalrepairyourpitchmarkday (something i totally agree and helped with) hopefully this can raise the awareness to everyone and help stop the "bad attitude" towards societies.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top