Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Alignment

Posted by: user455045 | Tue 13th Aug 2013 14:01 | Last Reply

Hello everyone. I have been trying to get my Handicap down for 18 months or so and enjoy my golf as I go. My friend pointed something out to me re the way I was lining up generally. I was in fact always tending to align to the right of the target line. With the new info onboard I had 20 minutes or so today in my garden to just practice my alignment. What I found out was too flabbergasting ( hope it's a word ) with new found knowledge I found I WAS STILL LINING UP INCORRECTLY ,sometimes left and sometimes right. It is well and truly been brought home that I must put a lot of work into getting my alignment correct if I want any reasonable chance of lowering my scores . What have others learned about alignment ?

re: Alignment
user43763
Reply : Tue 13th Aug 2013 22:35

i REALLY struggle with alignment. Everytime i hit a bad drive i know its because of my alignment. My tale with alignment is as folows: when i was off 22 i had a lesson and the pro watched me hit a few and told my i left the clubface so open he couldnt believe how i could hit such a consistent fade. Turning the face to keep on target line really made a difference, i then started hitting left, and very left. Few weeks ago a guy i play with (he plays of 10) noticed a stinking bad drive i hit and i got quite irate before he said why are you mad? thats exactly where you were aiming. So with a few drives that i asked him to check, my alignment seems to be getting much better. it always feels like im aiming very left (as it would for a natural slicer) but as long as i have faith that its right i usually spank a sweet one down the middle. Try this, after your practice swings stand behind your ball and pick a spot on the ground on your target line a couple inches in front of the ball (a blade of grass, divot, broken tee, anything) line the clubface up with that spot and then take your stance. imagine the line of the clubface running between your feet (just off your left heel for example) then is that line perpendicular, 90 degrees to your feet line?

failing that put clubs down on the ground on the practice range, i cant get on with this method though Good Luck

Last edit : Tue 13th Aug 2013 22:37
user455045
Reply : Thu 15th Aug 2013 19:43

Thanks Alun. A friend suggested your remedy already. This is sound advice as I appear to be getting better results than previously. I find that being a little out ( alignment ) at address will be magnified when the ball is hit, travels 150 yards or so....................result is the ball lands off line and adds to the yardage, or even worse. I have a lot to learn..............why didn't I start playing years ago instead of waiting for retirement LOL

user43763
Reply : Thu 15th Aug 2013 20:55

Lol I'm with you john. Alignment is the bane of my golfing existence. It come so naturally to some yet others might as well be using tennis racquets. Oh well. Stick with it. The more you practice the easier it becomes promise lol

user455045
Reply : Fri 16th Aug 2013 09:55

Cheers Alun

t's nice to know I am not alone.

The more you practice the easier it becomes promise lol..that should read the more we practice the Luckier we get. Take care

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 24th Aug 2013 19:50

I too seem to line my shoulders right of my target, with everything else parallel to the target line.

Take your stance and then put your club along your shoulders, that should show you where your shoulders are pointing.

Russ

user43763
Reply : Sun 25th Aug 2013 19:35

Lol I'm with you john. Alignment is the bane of my golfing existence. It come so naturally to some yet others might as well be using tennis racquets. Oh well. Stick with it. The more you practice the easier it becomes promise lol

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top