Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Re joining a golf club

Posted by: user545105 | Mon 12th Aug 2013 15:09 | Last Reply

After too many years of not playing much golf, about 4 rounds a year, kids have been too small to have the time away for the practice. Now older can get back into golf, I have joined a local club, isle of Wedmore, a really friendly club with lots of social golf on the go. Have just put in my 3 cards for a handicap they were 83, 88,93 and on this site gives me a handicap of 17, very happy with that. The first card was great, shoot a very good score as we all know it all went well, then trying to keep this up and went a bit wrong. The last card was in a roll up, so had about 20 people watching me, I had forgotten how nervous you can get on the first tee, my arm were like jelly, it took about 4 holes to calm down. As said on other post its all about practise and I need to do a lot more, especially the putting had more 3 putts in 3 rounds of golf than can remember.

re: Re joining a golf club
user43763
Reply : Tue 13th Aug 2013 22:43

lol same thing happened to me in my first medal, as horrible as it was i enjoyed the experience and am nowhere near that nervous anymore, good scoring considering such a long time out.

when i complain to the missus about having a couple weeks out she says "shut up, its like riding a bike innit?" i say "i cant remember what i did for the last shot, let alone how to do it for the next shot" its like riding a bike in the sense a bike belongs on the road, the same way i belong on the course

user355541
Reply : Wed 14th Aug 2013 12:19

Your first handicap card of 83 should be the one which determines your handicap. If you played off the yellows, your handicap should be 15 (SSS 68) and if off whites, it should be 14 (SSS 69).

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Fri 23rd Aug 2013 08:28

Here on Golfshake we differ slightly to the clubs and base your handicap on the average of your first 3 rounds but also remove any scores greater than double bogey.

Like mentioned the clubs will take you best score and it's likely you will be given 14 or 15 by the club.

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 24th Aug 2013 17:16

James, where did you get that information from?

It's my understanding that a CONGU handicap is worked out from your first three scorecards.

Nothing more than a double bogey is counted.

I'm certain that is the way my initial handicap was worked out at my golf club.

I could be wrong, but I've not heard anything about changing the way an initial handicap is worked out.

Russ

user33026 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 24th Aug 2013 19:01

Russ,

CONGU say best of the three cards with everything rounded down to double bogey at worst. The reason is your handicap should reflect the best you can play under perfect conditions, not the average of your game

user20126 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sat 24th Aug 2013 19:47

Thanks Chris, wasn't aware of that.

Russ

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top