Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

budget drivers

Posted by: user433823 | Fri 9th Aug 2013 16:33 | Last Reply

Has anyone got an MD Superstrong driver ? I am thinking of getting a new driver but budgets are tight and have seen this on ebay from a shop at £50 new. Was wondering if anybody has used one and what distance etc are like ?

re: budget drivers
user43763
Reply : Fri 9th Aug 2013 22:12

i had one the MD superstrong ti 10.5 reg flex, was one of the best drivers i ever had. sold it to my mate after getting a lower loft when i got to around 20hcp but when my driver snapped half way through a round he let me have a borrow and i still smashed it down the middle a long way. i dont think you could do much worse for £50 but your playing off 10 so you might want to put some serious thought into getting fitted for one, its a very valuable experience. I think my ping g15 was a little more forgiving but not that much longer - was nearly 3 times the price! my titleiest is about 30yds longer than it id say but no where near as forgiving. hope that helps some

user24437
Reply : Mon 12th Aug 2013 13:04

I'll say this for the umpteenth time, don't fall for the 'budget' tag. MD kit is quality. They are built to the same standards as most of the premium brands although they do tend to use much better shafts than the rest. What you need to realise is that the reason they are cheaper is that they don't spend millions on pimping their brands to pro's on tour and on advertising. But almost every review in the golf mags will say the same, surprisingly good - indeed that's why they have to label them as budget so as not to upset the major brands for their advertising revenue.

I have used several MD drivers, although now I've got an old Ben Hogan as I prefer the smaller head, all have been as good as anything I've used. I've also got a 3 wood, two hybrids and a superstrong 60 deg wedge. The one thing I would agree with Alun is that it may help getting another shaft, I've got a Aldila DVS60R in my 3 wood as I originally got it with a Proforce 65 blue which was far too stiff for me.

user433823
Reply : Mon 12th Aug 2013 18:59

Thanks so much and appreciate that I should get fitted too and would consider another shaft. It is just the if something seems to good to be true syndrome but in this case it seems it is !! I will send off tonight for my driver and prob the 3 wood and hybrids as nice to hear from other players true feedback and appreciate you letting me know now I am a happy boy and cant wait to get on and use them.

user417395
Reply : Thu 15th Aug 2013 07:19

i had the superstrong driver and 3 wood and sometimes wish i still had them

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top