Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Refurbishing Old Forged Irons?? HELP!

Posted by: user512543 | Tue 6th Aug 2013 21:59 | Last Reply

Hi All,

Come to a bit of a dead end here so I need some help.

Just grabbed an old set of 1979 Hogan Apex IIs on eBay as an impulse buy! They are great, but have been quite heavily used. They need re-grooving and refinishing overall as they have considerable wear marks on the face. Is there anywhere I can send them in the UK to get refurbished? All the places I have come across seem to cater more for cast irons...

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

re: Refurbishing Old Forged Irons?? HELP!
user77012
Reply : Wed 7th Aug 2013 09:41

Joel, there has been a post on here relating to a company that refurbishes irons , but can't remember who's thread or company name. I'm sure some will remember shortly. Respect on the Irons by the way !

user24437
Reply : Wed 7th Aug 2013 10:21

Do you mean Golf Alchemy oh Welsh one? I think that name cropped up during the enthusiastic debate of the Jack Golf wedges.

Looks like there are a few on Google, just look for iron refurbishment.

How bad are the scratches on the face? I regularly polish my irons up to get rid of the scratches on the matt part of the face. Mask it up with electrical insulation tape, then gently rub it down with varying degrees of wet and dry (use it wet) wrapped around a flat piece of wood, finally finish with valve grinding paste. Clean all the rubbish out and then get a groove cleaner in (use oil, 3 in 1 is good). The shiny bits can be done with Solvol autosol. New grips and good as new for a few quid an iron....

user77012
Reply : Wed 7th Aug 2013 16:34

Was thinking of somewhere else Tim, it came to me earlier I remember it Was JP (John Pettitt) who sent his callaways off to be redone. Very nice job was done by them , but cant remember their name.

user52922
Reply : Wed 7th Aug 2013 19:52

Last edit : Wed 7th Aug 2013 20:34

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top