Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Use of apps for GPS curse

Posted by: user544088 | Sat 27th Jul 2013 23:42 | Last Reply

Can anyone answer the question, can you use an app that you enter the club driving length of every club in your bag. Then when he plays he can read the correct club to use. From a point on the course. I am being informed that the club selection cannot be used in competition. Is this true?

re: Use of apps for GPS curse
user40826
Reply : Sun 28th Jul 2013 06:15

Can you not just remember? It's only a matter of adding around 10 yards every time?

user355541
Reply : Mon 29th Jul 2013 18:28

Smartphone app = competition illegal.

user24437
Reply : Mon 29th Jul 2013 20:13

Or you could just write the distance you hit each on the club. But seriously, do you really need something like that, can't you just use your eyes and feel? I must admit my yardages have gone a bit to pot since I've been testing the superb Golf Buddy Platinum GPS () and am beginning to realise just how inconsistent I am with yardages - not that I don't hit the greens or anything but I do constantly overide the yardages in my head. F'rinstance, at a local course they have a par 3 that plays anywhere between 175 to 190. I can honestly say that over the years I've probably used a driver, 3 wood, 18 & 21 deg hybrid, 4, 5, & 6 irons and reached the green with them all - it just depends on wind, humidity, heat and even what ball I'm using.

user338942
Reply : Mon 29th Jul 2013 22:23

I use GPS on my phone (obviously not in comps) but when i first got i was using it on every shot. I found it became a hindrance as I was relying on it. Now it is used only for plotting my way round new courses where I'm finding 'interesting' spots on the golf course and to see how accurate the fairway yard markers are. The rest comes down to the conditions on the day and feel.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 30th Jul 2013 21:47

Most of you will have seen it but a good article here on the rules of golf and distance measuring devices

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/4121/Distance_Measuring_Devices_DMDs_e_The_Facts.html

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top