Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Should I buy a hydrid?

Posted by: user543152 | Sat 27th Jul 2013 12:04 | Last Reply

Hi,

I've recently started playing golf, I'm only 16! I am progressing extremely well going around on an average of 88 on a par 70 course.

I really enjoy my golf but on long Par 4's and Par 5's once I've driven off I still have a decent amount of yards to cover. I can't seem to hit a 5 wood very well, or even a 3 iron. If I do I find myself trying to hit it into next week and really completely messing it up.

Would it be worth investing in a hybrid in order to resolve these shots? If so, which make is of good value for money and works extremely well? Please note I'm on quite a tight budget as I'm currently studying hard and I don't have money flowing from my ears!

Thank you for your support,

Jordan

This has possibly been placed in the wrong section. I didn't realise it was support for the forum! Sorry.

Last edit : Sat 27th Jul 2013 12:06
re: Should I buy a hydrid?
user106712
Reply : Sat 27th Jul 2013 17:03

Yes get one, Hybrids are great.. Easy to hit from almost any lie. my 3 hybrid goes almost as far as my 5 wood and my 4 hybrid is so easy to hit you wouldn'y beleive it til you try. Just remember to hit like an Iron not like a wood. I have callaway diablo hybrids. I've had them for 3 years now. Last year I got a hole in one with my 4 hybrid, 180 yards par 3 into the wind.

user543152
Reply : Sat 27th Jul 2013 17:59

Sounds ace! Thanks a lot.

user24437
Reply : Sat 27th Jul 2013 19:02

Go on e-bay and get yourself an MD Superstrong, couple on there for £30 or so. Don't fall into the trap that because they're cheap they're rubbish. Quality bits of kit and will help you find out whether or not they are for you at a reasonable price.

user543152
Reply : Sat 27th Jul 2013 19:49

Thanks Tim, really useful.

user16106
Reply : Sat 27th Jul 2013 21:01

Adrian I cant hist a hybrid with any consistancy. You say hit it like an iron not like a wood. Would that be hit it ball then turf rather than sweep? I prefer to use my 5-6 irons and have started to get 180-190 with them off fairway. Dave cac handed geordie.

user24437
Reply : Sat 27th Jul 2013 23:40

I carry two hybrids, 18 and 21 degree. In terms of distance there isn't a lot between my 21 deg and my 4 iron (especially now I'm hitting the 4 more consistently) but the ball flights between the two are totally different. Low and flat for the iron and high fade for the hybrid, and the hybrid is much better out of light rough. I may drop one when I get more confident with my 3 iron, but not just yet....

user40826
Reply : Sun 28th Jul 2013 06:28

Yep, get one. They instil confidence, launch the ball high and land it softly. They can be a nightmare in the wind though, I'll often put my 3 and 4 irons back in the bag when it's a particularly windy day.

Try a few, to see which feels best in your hands. As said before, you don't need to spend a fortune. I'm still using a burner 21 degree from 2008 - GolfBidder

Wouldn't change it.

Last edit : Sun 28th Jul 2013 06:28
user504404
Reply : Sun 28th Jul 2013 17:22

Hybrids are certainly an asset IMO

Tim has mentioned MDGolf Hybrids. I had a superstrong ST2 21Deg hybrid, got on with it well however I always felt it looked like a fairway wood and as I don't like hitting fairway woods there was a slight mental thing going on there.

Anyhow I have now traded it in for the new ST3 Hybrid, actually looks more like a very thick Iron than a wood (if you can put up with the bright yellow shaft). It is taking a bit of getting used to as feels a bit heavier but I am using the same swing as I would for using a Iron. Distance wise it goes further than my 3 Iron (getting 200yds plus) so it is certainly a real help especially from a rough lie.

user338942
Reply : Mon 29th Jul 2013 22:19

Hybrids are a quality bit of kit and are used through all abilities.

I'd say even go for a club a few years old. Tech in hybrids hasn't really moved on a great deal since they came on the scene 10 years ago, so you'll be just as well (as the lads have said) having a good look through ebay.

user543152
Reply : Mon 29th Jul 2013 23:45

Thanks for all the useful comments. Will certainly look into them all and inform you of how it comes off!

Much appreciated.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top