Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Oh Man!!

Posted by: user251543 | Wed 17th Jul 2013 18:11 | Last Reply

I have been logging my scores on Golfshake for some 4 years now, I own a Garmin GPS and read all the tutorials in the golf magazines. All of them say that they will shave shots off my handicap and they haven't. I play every weekend averaging between 20 & 30 points in competition play and family demands mean that i cannot practise very regularly. Where on earth am i going wrong?

re: Oh Man!!
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 17th Jul 2013 19:56

Michael, check this article out on the mental side of the game.

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/6029/The_mental_game_Waste_of_money_or_a_real_must_for_EVERYBODY.html

I may drop you an email as I might have an idea.

user43763
Reply : Fri 19th Jul 2013 09:19

I was talking to a pro about this not so long ago about how to start coming down from 17 and he said that when you reach the 16/17 mark unless your hitting balls twice a week, its hard to move. he said a good weekend golfer would be around that mark and even then a good warm up session is needed to make sure you play to it. I don't know how much truth there is in there but whats your bad shot? hows your putting and chipping? effort = results, and your playing off 17, whats wrong with that? 17 makes you a decent player - but I would say that

user251543
Reply : Fri 19th Jul 2013 09:51

I am very happy with my 17 handicap but it was all achieved before purchasing a GPS (supposed to shave two shots off your handicap) and a full set of wedges (again, supposed to shave shots off your handicap) and lessons ( Coach " you hit it like a four handicapper!!"). That is the bit that is confusing me, i fully understand that practice would help but my missus will not entertain it as she thinks that i play too much as it is!!

user100745
Reply : Sat 20th Jul 2013 20:06

Michael like you I am about a 17 handicapper and have a garman watch but lessons and practice get your scores down you can not buy a game a few years ago if you bought a certain type of tee (brush) it would knock shots of your round if you bought a k1 driver a short game wizard and a controller driver according to the manufacturers all would reduce your scores we should all be scratch players by now. In your case you are either not hitting greens in regulation or like me getting 6 or 7 pars but too many double and worse scores. I have found that excepting I am basically a bogie golfer so if I hit a poor shot I say to myself I can still get a bogie for 2 points so I no longer beat myself up and enjoy the game a lot more.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top