Tee Times | Search | Reviews

News:

Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

can the average player benefit from playing blades?

Posted by: user437159 | Sun 7th Jul 2013 21:22 | Last Reply

wow...it's been a while since I've posted on here! I'm 14 years of age and carry an official congu handicap of 12. I've been playing for just over 2 years now and want to take my ball striking to the next level and learn to shape the ball. I'm currently using Ping G20 Game improvement irons and find myself getting lazy with them. I've been recently looking into a set of better player's irons like blades or minor cavitities in order to learn to shape the ball but ive been put off because apparently they 'ruin your game'. is this true? or can an average player like me benefit from playing blades?

re: can the average player benefit from playing blades?
user466742
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 10:39

Hey mate. It's definitely worth looking into if you're capable of playing both a draw and fade, but have you considered a set of forged cavity irons rather than blades? They are made in the same way as blades but with a small cavity rather than being a full on blade, which offer a small amount of forgiveness for less than perfect strikes. The change between the G20's you play now and full blades such as the MB712's from titleist will be huge.

It's worth going to your local golf shop and trying a bunch out & get some advice from the pro there. But if i was you at your age & ability I'd be looking at something like the below, good value & great feeling.

http://americangolf.co.uk/WilsonStaff/Wilson-Staff-FG-Tr-Stl-%284-PW%29/190213,en_GB,pd.html

check out this video from Mark Crossfield on the difference between forged & cast, he knows his stuff!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxRlF0zotNk

re: can the average player benefit from playing blades?
user504404
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 10:46

Hi Liam

I personally use cavity backs as I am not good enough to warrant blades currently (12handicap) and I want a more forgiving Iron - however that might change in the future.

If you want to move the ball and have more control then blades are definitely the way to go. They also give much more feedback as to the quality of your strike.

My advice would be to practice with some first to see how you get on etc

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top