Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Handicap adjusted score

Posted by: user536645 | Tue 2nd Jul 2013 16:59 | Last Reply

Hi Can anyone help! I am trying to work out the adjusted score to keep a track of my handicap. I am not quite sure about the "double bogey" rule. If I play off 24 and I score 10 (not that I do!) on a par 5 SI 1 is my score (for handicap purposes) 7 or 8? Any help with the adjusted score would be welcome. Many thanks Gary ps the rest of the calculation I find quite easy!

re: Handicap adjusted score
user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 18:59

If you are using Golfshake just enter your gross score and we calculate the adjustment automatically.

You can also enter n and we will autocalculate this adjusted score as will which is a nett double bogey ie the first score where you score 0 stableford points.

In your scenario the adjustment for the par 5 SI1 is - Par 5, +2 handicap shots, +2 (double bogey), thus is 9.

So to illustrate further if you change for an 8 then take into account your 2 shots gives you a nett 6 and on a par 5 would result in 1 stableford point for the nett bogey. Hence the adjusted score is 9 and the first score that you score 0 stableford points.

Hope this makes sense

Regards, Darren.

user536645
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 19:27

Hi Darren Many thanks for your prompt reply. I am a full member on golfshake (which is a fabulous site). I do use your site for my handicap, however I just wanted to understand how it is worked out. I think I now have a better understanding after your explanation. I suppose it is better using the stableford score to ascertain the net value I need. Regards Gary

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 22:29

Gary if you use Golfshake then don't worry, enter your 9s, 10s, 11s and the system sorts out for you.

Worth knowing on the course though, I've been caught out once for picking up when I thought I couldn't score and discovered I had shots!

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Sun 7th Jul 2013 13:58

Joel, yes that's correct we just check a double bogey based off scratch ie no handicap strokes.

We then take the average of those first 3 rounds, this differs slightly to club handicaps which generally just take the best adjusted score from one of the score cards.

user356537
Reply : Sun 7th Jul 2013 22:20

Darren, out of interest is the adjustment subject to a maximum 6 shot reduction as it would be under the CONGU rules?

user355541
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 08:22

CONGU rules do not have a maximum reduction for adjustment.

user356537
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 18:44

They do for allocating a handicap! The two previous posts were about the initial allocation of a handicap.

user355541
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 19:25

No, they do not. Can you quote me chapter and verse from the CONGU manual?

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 21:01

Richard, nope I don't have any max reduction. So yes someone could stick in really really bad scores but given the max of 28 it doesn't matter but yes there are players tracking rounds/handicaps on Golfshake who record 110+ and the system will just provide a 28 handicap.

However we do allow people to set-up as beginner and junior and then get max handicaps at 36 or 54. We aren't the club system and just providing a benchmark to allow people to enjoy this fantastic game!

user356537
Reply : Mon 8th Jul 2013 22:26

James, Paragraph 1.2 of Appendix J to the CONGU rules states, "Any score more than 2 [3] over par at any hole must be amended to 2 [3] over par. (The maximum reduction under this clause shall be 6 strokes per round)"

However, on checking, this provision is only applicable to handicaps for juniors. As the junior organiser at my club I have been responsible for junior handicaps for a number of years, I have to admit I assumed the same provision applied to adults - it appears not.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 5th Aug 2013 11:49

Golfshake isn't 100% perfect, nor is the UK system on the whole, but it's a great benchmark for non club golfers to know their golf handicap and especially so if you track every round you play.

As discussed previously some of the guys on here who play lots and lot of golf including lots of competitive club matches actually find that their golf club handicap and Golfshake handicap are very close.

Warren, to answer your question you should always use the SSS as this provides the only way of assessing the golf course difficulty in the UK.

Someone else emailed in this morning querying their handicap on a similar issue for a course with a par 72 but an SSS of 66 asking why Golfshake had given a handicap if 19 but not 15 if based on Par. The easiest comparison is that this course is obviously a lot shorter and potentially easier than say the Belfry Brabazon with a par also of 72 but an SSS of 73.

Hope this helps.

Last edit : Mon 5th Aug 2013 11:50
user504404
Reply : Mon 5th Aug 2013 12:14

As Darren has touched on the handicap similarity between golf shake and club handicap.

I have entered quite a few rounds on here and my golfshake handicap is 10.8 and club is 11.7 - so quite similar.

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top