Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Lake balls

Posted by: user338942 | Tue 2nd Jul 2013 01:03 | Last Reply

Am I snob for snubbing lake balls and '2nd chance' balls?

I just find them to be substandard. You can spot the poor finish a mile off compared to new balls and any that have been completely refinished, how do you know they started off as the ball it claims to be now? For example I once found a 'Titleist' ball with the trademark Callaway hex dimples.

For me if I find or win lake balls, its straight in the practice bag. What do you all think of them?

re: Lake balls
user356537
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 08:25

I'm with you on this one Dave. If I found one I wouldn't even bother putting it in my bag.

These days you don't have to spend a fortune to get a decent golf ball. If you don't want to pay for a premium ball if you shop around you will find Srixon Soft Feels or AD333's (or other similar) balls for less than £20 a dozen. I'd much rather buy those than a 'lake' ball or refurbished ball if I was on a budget.

My ball of choice is the Bridgestone Tour B330-RXS and I tend to stick with these during the season and switch to a Srixon Soft Feel or Wilson Staff DX2 in the winter months.

user43763
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 11:53

I think the reasons for you guys snubbing lake balls is blatantly obvious, When was the last time you lost a ball lol? Ive recently started playing better and now leave any balls I find on the course. I have also moved to brand new's and I bought a dozen Nike PD soft as distance was no longer an issue, however, I cannot get on with this ball at all and IMO it was a waste of £14, if I had bought lake balls then I would of had far better value. Im going to stick with it though and when these run out im looking at the bridgestone e6 or Srixion 333. I have noticed the difference between a soft ball and a distance ball with respect to feel but as for performance I cant say theres much difference.

user338942
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 20:08

333s are cracking balls. If you shop about and prepared to buy in bulk you can easily find them for £12 a dozen. I've recently been spoilt with Srixon Z-Stars. Got a dozen free with Today's Golfer then found a box labelled wrong for £18 in a shop. Excellent golf balls, just find it hard to part with the full price £30...

user43763
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 21:41

why do you find them so good?

user338942
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 22:02

great feel and a noticeable improvement of distance. get about half a club more with them

user24437
Reply : Tue 2nd Jul 2013 22:27

Great balls Z-Stars, use them or TriSpeeds in the winter. The last lot I picked up on e-bay for £19.99 a dozen. Had to buy 4 dozen mind...

user473042
Reply : Fri 5th Jul 2013 15:36

any ball i find goes in the bag as stock for when i go to the driving range and saves me money there lol plus i get a better reading for my range than with range balls

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top