Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

gps

Posted by: user428450 | Tue 25th Jun 2013 17:34 | Last Reply

hi all

i am interested in buying a "watch type" gps. questions:

1. how good are they to see in bright daylight? i have a hand held one and have a GREAT DEAL OF PROBLEMS READING THE INFO.

2. HOW DO I DOWNLOAD MY LOCAL COURSES. I AM AT PRESENT LOOK AT THE GARMIN S2 SERIES (PRICE DICTATES)

THANKS TO YOU ALL

NORMAN E

re: gps
user356537
Reply : Tue 25th Jun 2013 23:28

Norman, I'm not sure what model it was but I played with someone a couple of weeks ago who had a Garmin watch style GPS and it was between 10-15 yards out on most holes at our course.

Will you be using it in competitions? If not, and if you have an iPhone I would strongly suggest that you get the PGA Tour Caddie app. It's free at the moment and is really excellent.

I have the SkyCaddie 2.5. It's the basic model but have no problem reading the screen even on the brightest days. The subscription is an annoyance but I can't fault the accuracy of their mapping and the customer service. When some changes were made to our course I notified them and they had someone there within 10 days to re-map the course. All of the other GPS providers rely on aerial photography which is not as accurate as having someone out on the course.

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Wed 26th Jun 2013 12:07

Norman, the Garmin is pretty decent for viewing and the S1 wasn't to big on the wrist. Most of the watches come preloaded with the courses now but for updates will generally allow you to link up with your PC and then sync that way.

All of the last few GolfBuddy, Garmin, Shotmiser & Skycaddie products I've seen/tested were preloaded.

user504404
Reply : Wed 26th Jun 2013 13:16

Norman

A friend of mine has the S1 - all he wanted was something to show him front, middle and back yardage and this is what the S1 does. I looked at the screen a few times during the round and it seemed pretty easy to read.

If you want other info then you will have to go for the S2 or one of the handheld alternatives.

I have the G6 - bit pricey in comparison, but I am extremely happy with it and it has extra features like ability to calculate lay up distances and alter pin position on green etc.

As Darren rightly mentions all Garmins are pre loaded with 1000's of courses and you can link with your PC for updates etc

Just depends what you really want to get out of your device.

user89876
Reply : Mon 1st Jul 2013 12:39

Richard, i may be wrong but i'm sure i was told phones ( particularly the iphone ) can not be used as they have a built in compass which can't be turned off, like i say, i could be way off, even though we would never use things like temperature and true north if they are on the device, it can't be used

user8 [FORUM MODERATOR]
Reply : Mon 1st Jul 2013 13:01

For competitions then 99% of the time smartphones are a no. Great article here 'Distance Measuring Devices (DMDs) – The Facts'

http://www.golfshake.com/improve/view/4121/Distance_Measuring_Devices_DMDs_e_The_Facts.html

user356537
Reply : Mon 1st Jul 2013 23:23

Alan, that's why I asked, "will you be using it in competitions?". That is also why I own a SkyCaddie.

My son plays in county, regional and national competitions. Use of a DMD's via an iPhone or any other type of smart phone = disqualification.

Last year I took a team of juniors from my club up to Woodhall Spa to play in England Golf's Junior Champion Club tournament. These are the instructions issued to all competitors by England Golf re: using a mobile phone as a DMD.

"England Golf’s advice on the use of mobile phones as a distance measuring device: Because of problems over whether a particular phone conforms to the Local Rule and, therefore, to protect players from the risk of disqualification, England Golf strongly recommends that mobile phones are not used as distance measuring devices."

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top