Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

handicap or nerves

Posted by: user417395 | Mon 24th Jun 2013 18:13 | Last Reply

going to throw another out there tracking my scores both here and personally i am intrigued that my scores are considerably lower when playing for leisure than in comps here is my point do lower handicap players handle the pressure better and can anyone out there give me advice if that is the case

re: handicap or nerves
user338942
Reply : Mon 24th Jun 2013 20:02

Consistency is the word your looking for. Lower the handicap, the more consistent they are and the less their rounds will be +/- to their hcp

user80078
Reply : Mon 24th Jun 2013 20:32

Dave is spot on about consistancy with the lower handicap players. When the crunch comes they know pretty much whether a shot is on for them time after time. Justin Rose was just superb on the 18th in the U.S. Open. He knew he had the game to make those 3 superb shots, to leave a tap in. When my regular partner and I play in interclub matches we both play significantly poorer than when playing casually and this is down to pressure.

user417395
Reply : Tue 25th Jun 2013 06:37

are people saying that in comps play conservatively has anyone any tips for alleviating the pressure comps obviously put on all of us

user43166
Reply : Tue 25th Jun 2013 09:48

I think a lot of it is down to self belief. I used to get very nervous in comps but after playing a few and doing well in a couple I don't find it so much of a problem. I'm not a low handicapper, just believe I can play well - doesn't always happen, but I know I can. Some nerves can be good - it means it is important but you have to put that aside.

Everyone has their own handicap according to their ability (usually - but we won't get into that one again!!). If you are playing with a low handicapper, don't try and keep up with them, they will play better than you. Play to your own handicap.

I nearly always have some kind of competition in friendly rounds as well - a side bet or 2. I think this makes the pressure of competitions less so or maybe something I am more used to.

user417395
Reply : Tue 25th Jun 2013 14:13

good call never thought of it that will try next at course and give you feedback

user338942
Reply : Tue 25th Jun 2013 20:49

I agree with Dan, you just have to chill out and enjoy the game. I dont get nerves in club comps anymore, I just go out and enjoy the round. If I think I'm in contention in the last few holes just dont play any silly/ambitious shots.

What will help with that mindset is how often you play. If you are in the same slot each week (we sign up to 1h time slots for comps before the random draw) you'll start to know the people you play with a bit better, conversation will flow and relaxation will come.

You also need to realise you wont be in contention every week. If your +4 after 5 holes or something, dont let your head drop. Enjoy the company, enjoy your round and maybe you'll find yourself back around level par by the end.

user504404
Reply : Wed 26th Jun 2013 13:07

Paul

My views on comps and pressure etc

I used to struggle in comps as my swing/process was not consistent enough to enable me to tackle competitions well. I put in a lot of practice and had a few lessons and now that I have far more confidence in my own ability it has enabled me to play better in comps and handle pressure as I have removed one of my previous worries.

As for comp play - I play in stablefords and medals and approach both differently. I take more risks in stablefords and conversely play more conservatively in medals to reduce the risk of that disaster hole!

Strangely I seem to do better in medals - maybe because this format evens out the field more, I don't know?

GL

user417395
Reply : Wed 26th Jun 2013 14:36

some really good calls on this post different perspectives taken on board and will take it forward thanks guys

user217280
Reply : Thu 27th Jun 2013 16:55

I do exactly what Pete says, I started doing it a number of years ago when I used to play I tight course, I had started to steer the ball instead of releasing the club head, causing all manor of poor shots, all because my mind was focussing to much on all the trouble, so I started picking a target about six inches to a foot in front of me, I lined myself to the mark and never even looked down the fairway again I just hit the ball over the mark and now I do it all the time, once I have picked my target and club, I just line up and hit the shot. It shouldn't make any difference who, where and wheather in a competition of just social golf, the swing still needs to be executed the same. Learn to relax pick your mark and just hit the ball over it. Obviously easier said than done, but give it a go I know it will work.

user80078
Reply : Thu 27th Jun 2013 17:05

I really like the sound of this piece of advice. Even though I'm a senior by some margin, I'll give it a go next time out. Cheers!!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top