Gear | Tour | Industry Insider

Tuition:

Video Library | Tuition Sections

Community:

Join | Log In | Help | Useful Links

New Forum System - click here to visit our new & improved forum system >>>

Change as good as a rest.

Posted by: user16106 | Mon 10th Jun 2013 20:38 | Last Reply

Over the last few months ive been going through a bit of a bad patch, rearly playing to handicap. Scoring about 30-32pts on a good day. Low to high 90s is the norm. Of late I have been using Callaway x-16 irons with graph shaft. When I started using these I immediatly noticed a drop in distance by up to 20 yds a club but also an improved rate of good hits so I was in a bit of a quandry. I persevered until last week. I went back to my old Wilson fatshaft irons. I could hardly get the ball in the air. Top, thin, fat, spoon, chunk oh yeh and the old armitage. It was a nightmare. I was back out yesterday and suck with the wilsons. Much better! I was now hitting over greens that before I wouldnt even reach the green. Some nice solid hits and lots of good iron tee shots. I now think I can start reaching greens from 200yds out with an iron. ( on a good fair day ) something I havnt done for a long time. Would I be correct in thinking your body gets use to the club you are playing with and it takes time adjusting back to a dissimilar spec club? Dave CAC handed Geordie.

re: Change as good as a rest.
user127691
Reply : Tue 11th Jun 2013 11:18

graphite shafts shold be softer and therefore in theory go further than the others, so I'm supridsed to hear that. They may have been to soft and you were getting to much spin on the ball and that could have been where you were lsosing the distance. They may also have been much lighter shafts so getting used to swinging the heavier stell shafts may have been causing an issue when you first went back to them.

It may be nothing to do with the equipoment at all . Golf is a confidence game if you ask me and 90% of what goes wrong in my game is mental. Perhaps the change or the percieved change has helped bring back some confidenece, whatever has happened just keep ot going!!

The Forums have now moved to a new version

We have now moved the forum to a new and improved system which provides more functionality plus provides easier access from desktop, tablets and smart phone devices.

Click here to view the new forum & register for free.

Scroll to top